Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

alt anode arc/burned off

Visiting Guest

01-18-04, 12:47 PM   #1  
spffymffy
alt anode arc/burned off

batteryanode burner off any tips on how to attach battery cable without having to replace/repair whole alt?????

Sponsored Links

01-18-04, 01:56 PM   #2  
Not sure what you mean by batteryanode but if your talking about the battery terminal on the alternator and it's damaged, replace the alternator. That's all you can do.

Visiting Guest

01-18-04, 07:19 PM   #3  
spffymffy
yes that is what happened but the alt worrks fine ansd is from and english car and thet are hard to find and very expensive that why i need a tip to attach the battery cable thanks

WV

01-18-04, 08:29 PM   #4  
Take the alternator to a reputable auto electrical shop in your area. If they rebuild alternators they should be able to fix this for you.
What caused it to be like this?
Billy

Visiting Guest

01-18-04, 09:11 PM   #5  
spffymffy
the nut holding the wire came loose then fell off the battery wire just kinda bounce around on the post /anode each time it moved it arc'ed and sparked just like a plasma or arc welder . any way i could take to a repair shop but it would a least 100$ or more the alt is fine works good it is just this connection i need to fix

WV

01-18-04, 09:16 PM   #6  
I dont understand why you think it will be such a huge cost to have this repaired. Its not like you can use it this way so you will have to either get it repaired or replace the entire alternator. That shouldnt cost much at all to repair, and even if it were a bit, im sure the repair cost is no comparison to replacing the alt. Not much else you can do.
Billy

Visiting Guest

01-18-04, 10:04 PM   #7  
spffymffy
well the cost for one thing and it seams like i should be albe to drill a small hole and put a screm or a nut or something to make the connecting the alt is english and they aren't around much so cost is steep so any idea's would be great thank you

Visiting Guest

01-18-04, 10:13 PM   #8  
mike from nj
i've seen that bolt glowing bright red with only a loose nut holding it.

if it was my car, i would take it apart, take out the broken bolt, find one that is exactly the same size, and install it. use a good locking nut to hold it to the insulators, then attach the charging wire with another nut outside the case. either that, or i would splice a length of wire directly to the feed inside the alternator, and drill a bigger hole and run that wire through the case. then make a nut and bolt connection with two eyelets outside the case.

remember---that wire can never touch the alternator case or any piece of metal on the engine----or you will have a fire.

i would think an alternator shop would be able to replace that stud without having to rebuild the entire unit. have you gotten an estimate yet? they might just do it right there for you and cheap too. it doesn't hurt to ask.

by the way---what kind of car??

Visiting Guest

01-18-04, 10:49 PM   #9  
spffymffy
1980 triumph tr7

Visiting Guest

01-21-04, 09:22 AM   #10  
toivo
1980 triumph

it doesn't matter if its a triumph or a a p51 mustang, follow the last post and either take it apart and replace the bolt or take it to an alternator repair shop for an estimate. they may even have a bolt to sell you that you can replace it with yourself. i also agree that they can install a new insulated bolt for a lot less than a c-note. anyway, ask em, it never hurts to ask. the worst they can say is no, and that doesn't hurt.

Search this Thread