Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

99 chevy venture ABS light???

AL

01-19-04, 06:57 PM   #1  
99 chevy venture ABS light???

i have a chevy 99 venture van...the ABS indicator light just came on the past week...any ideas??? i don't have a manual, so i don't can't look in there...

also...the hazard flashing lights stay on for a little bit when i crank it up now...they eventually go off...they don't stay on outside of the car, just on the dash...

thanks for the info...michael

Sponsored Links

01-20-04, 04:06 AM   #2  
Someone is going to have to scan for ABS codes at startup to see what is happenning there. That's not something that usually comes free. Your likely going to have to bring it into a reputable shop for diagnosis. The flasher problem sounds really strange. Sounds like it could be a security system problem.

01-20-04, 03:22 PM   #3  
I would remove both battery cables and check for corrosion and repair as needed and reconnect.I can't tell you how many times I saw people chase their tail over a slightly loose or corroded battery/starter/ground connection.I checked for bulletins and none are listed so try the battery thing and if it doesn't help you will need to have someone read the abs codes.

AL

04-09-04, 12:00 PM   #4  
more information

my abs light still comes on periodically...

let me tell you what i have noticed when the ABS light is on...

when the brake pedal is pressed with the left turn signal on, the left turn signal speeds up tremendously...it doesn't speed up the right side...also...

also...the hazard lights do light up on the dash when the brake pedal is pressed during driving conditions...to slow down or to stop...the hazard indicators in the dash light up and stay lit until the brake pedal is released...then the hazard lights go off....

also...there is definitely something going on with the lights on the left side in the rear...i thought maybe a buld is burned out, but all the bulbs work fine...they don't light up like the right side lights when the brake is applied...

this ABS light comes on periodically...it doesn't stay on all day...it will come on during driving...it may or may not be on when i start the van up the next time...

any ideas now...

04-11-04, 09:14 AM   #5  
As I said if that doesn't work we need codes from the abs system.It also sounds like you have a short or a faulty turn signal switch.

AL

06-23-04, 08:30 AM   #6  
engine codes

ok...it has been awhile due to talking to a relative who had the same problem for awhile...he just disconnected his abs...

new problems...within a day i have had the following problems on top of the above mentioned problems...

temperature gauge goes up to hot and back to the middle and then back up to hot...it does this every few seconds...it will stay on red, then back down a little...back up to red...then back to the middle...etc...the temperature light comes on...(note: i did have wal mart change my oil once and i think they mixed red coolant with the green when they topped it off...i had the red removed and put in all green...they didn't bother to look...and i didn't know they were going to top it off...haven't flushed it out yet) would the mixed coolant affect the temperature all of the sudden???

this morning when i cranked the van up, it didn't take but a mile for the temp gauge to jump back up to red...plus at start up, the engine felt funny...the service engine light came on...it stays on now...so i took it to advanved auto parts and had the codes read...i will type everything it said on the printout below...

One auto repair shop said it looks like the computer is going out...would the computer going out be the cause of the brake lights, turn signals, and abs light as well as the other problems i am having...

anything would help...thanks...michael

Transient DTC P0122
TPS/Pedal Position
Sensor A
Circuilt Low Input
MIL NOT REQUESTED
Since IGN PASS
Since Clear P/F

Transient DRC P0140
O2 Sensor
CKT No Activity
(Bank 1 Sensor 2)
MIL NOT REQUESTED
Since IGN NOT RUN
SINCE Clear P/F

History DTC P0300
Randon/Mulitple
Cylinder
Misfire Detected
MIL REQUESTED
Since IGN NOT RUN
Since Clear P/F

History DTC P1122
TPS/Pedal Position
Intermittent Ckt
Low Voltage
MIL REQUESTED
Since IGN PASS
Since Clear P/F

History DTC P1483
Engine Cooling
System
Performance
MIL NOT REQUESTED
Since IGN NOT RUN
Since Clear FAIL

Visiting Guest

06-23-04, 10:13 AM   #7  
huey
Hi, I'm no good with electric although it sounds like you have something major going on. I did have an ABS light go on though because of grease on sensor fins from a blown CV joint. LOL Tom

06-23-04, 02:30 PM   #8  
Did you check the battery cables for corrosion or acid leakage by removing them from the battery?I ask because it is very important because the battery on those are prone to positive post leakage and I can't check it for you.You have an electrical problem take a guess where the electricity comes from.If you guessed the battery you would be correct.So checking it is step#1.Then after we confirm that all is well there we can go on to codes and such.Btw I've seen hundreds of dollars spent trying to fix a car with bad battery connections.

AL

06-24-04, 08:56 AM   #9  
chevy dealer estimate

went to chevy dealer this morning...

over heating: leaking intake gasket and water pump...need to replace intake and valve cover gaskets...flush the system and add coolant plus oil and filter...

also noticed corroded ignition coils (3 of them)...need to replace plugs, plug wires, ignition coils

braking system: need left rear board and connector on brake lights...it shorted out and burned...

battery: positive post corroded and leaking acid...

any thoughts...

thanks...michael

06-24-04, 02:58 PM   #10  
Sounds like you got all your answers. Now you just have to get it all done.

AL

06-28-04, 04:44 PM   #11  
just got back from the dealer after paying 930 bucks...ouch...that hurt big time...

when i drove for about 15 mintues around town, i noticed the temp gauge moving toward the middle of the gauge...before all the problems, normal was more to the left...if you think of a clock...between the numbers of 10 and 2 on a clock face...normal was always right at the 10-11 position...now it sits and moves a little above the 12 position...does that make sense???

so my question is did they fix the problem...if the water pump and intake gaskets were leaking, then my problem should be fixed...they spent over an hour trying to figure out the problem...that is what they said the problem was...shouldn't the temp be about the normal position it was before the problem occurred????

also...when i had my last oil change, they wrote with pen on a plastic rectangle piece of the static stuff...the small piece of plastic that sticks to the window above the drivers side on the wind sheid...anyway...they removed that at the dealer when they did another oil change...instead of throwing it away, they stuck it on the outside of my door...the ink transferred onto my door panel...now i have the date, mileage, and next service date transferred backwords on my door...i can't get it off...

any ideas on what would remove it...i am taking it back to the dealer tomorrow to talk to them about...

frustrated and P.O.ed

Search this Thread