02 sensor

Old 01-19-04, 06:57 PM
Thumbs up 02 sensor

i have a 87 olds cutliss supreme v8 motor ,my problem is the 02 senser don;t last but about 2 or 3 months then i have to replace it. my question is can you bypass it or what could be causing this .the car runs good but smells real bad when the sensor goes bad . thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-04, 09:16 PM
toivo
Visiting Guest
02 sensor

if your engine is burning antifreeze your 02 sensor will go bad. also if it is burning a lot of oil it will goof it up also. how many miles, is it using antifreeze? if it smells bad it may be using to much fuel. how's your mileage?

Old 01-20-04, 03:53 AM
You definately need some qualified diagnosis. O/2 sensors don't just "go bad". Either they get ruined by another problem or there wasn't anything wrong with them at all and they are just reporting correctly what they are seeing. Is your check engine light working and on? Have you scanned for other codes? Find out what's in there for codes and report back with them. Otherwise just get it into a reputable shop for correct diagnosis.

Old 01-20-04, 03:31 PM
I agree something is causing the sensor to fail.toivo is right coolant or oil will do it.Another thing that will do it is leaded gas, in Pa you need your own tank and at least 5 acres to qualify as a farm to buy it.I will say this I have installed aftermarket O2 sensors that will no teven allow closed loop operation.So maybe you are getting low quality sensors I don't know.