moldy carpet in car

Old 01-18-04, 01:49 PM
lisa333
Visiting Guest
moldy carpet in car

I haven't driven my car in a long time and it smells moldy and musty. How do I get rid of the smell?

Old 01-18-04, 01:53 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
There isn't much short of replacing the carpets that will work. If the seats are cloth, they would need to be steam cleaned. If the carpet got wet, it will never be the same.

Old 01-18-04, 03:25 PM
daveblan
Visiting Guest
Try a good steam cleaning and then spray with FABREEZE. It may not cure it all but it will help. If you truly have mold you will have to get rid of it by replacing the carpet to make it all go away.

Old 01-18-04, 04:46 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The reason you can get the smell out of the carpet is the jute padding underneath. It holds the moisture and the smell. Steam cleaners just can't penetrate that deep.

Old 01-19-04, 04:32 PM
lisa333
Visiting Guest
moldy carpet

Thank-you so much for all of your responses. I will give it a shot and see what happens. I don't think the carpet is wet. The seats are cloth, so maybe cleaning and using Fabreeze will help. Again, thank-you!

Old 01-19-04, 05:24 PM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
In the meantime keep a couple laundry softener sheets laying in the car. Or in pass floor board where heat will activate them. Only true way of getting rid of the smell is probably a new carpet. But ya got to find why the other one got moldy.

Old 01-20-04, 06:22 PM
lisa333
Visiting Guest
Thank-you! That is a great idea. I will try that. I will also investigate what happened to that carpet. Thanks again.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: