Gas Milage

Old 01-20-04, 05:30 PM
wallyb
Visiting Guest
Gas Milage

I purchased a 98 chevy extended cab pickup with the 5.7 350 in it. I'm only getting about 13 mpg? Just wondering what everyone else is getting with similar vehicle? What, if anything, can I do it increase it. My mechanic said the plugs are good for 100,000 miles. Mine has 78,000 miles on it. I put in new air filter and fuel filter??? Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Matt

Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-04, 05:51 PM
Brand new ones list 13mpg city 18 hwy so you have a truck and they are not fuel misers.Sorry is this your first truck?

Old 01-21-04, 06:33 AM
redneck
Visiting Guest
I got the same truck with about the same miles, and usually average 15mpg, mostly highway. I started to get a rough idle about 5k ago, and changed the plugs and wires, it runs like new again. Also, change fluids and filters regularly. Had the oil cooler lines replaced under warrenty at 17k (they are leaking again), replaced the idler arm and pitman arm at 60k, and for the past two years the intake manifold leaks a slight bit of coolent only during winter while sitting. That is it. Been a good truck, and I use it like a truck should be used. Sorry for the extra info, but it can't hurt.

Old 01-21-04, 07:23 PM
wallyb
Visiting Guest
Nope, I've had a couple others, not quite as nice...LOL...but I talk to others with similar trucks and get 17 or 18 mpg. I travel highway mostly, so I guess I was looking to get more than the 13 I'm currently getting?? Would you bother changing plugs and wires if the check engine doesn't detect anything wrong?? I was told the plugs are good for 100K?

Thanks,

Matt

Old 01-22-04, 05:10 AM
dumb questions...

...is it going into overdrive? is the convertor clutch locking up? have you checked the air in the tires and how are they wearing? a new set of plugs won't hurt...but may not give you all that you want mileage wise tho. did your mechanic check the system for codes? is the exhaust system original?

just a few questions to spur some more thought...

Old 01-22-04, 01:10 PM
redneck
Visiting Guest
What kind of rpms are you pulling at say 65mph? should be less than 2000 if lock up is working. stock tire size? I did notice a slight drop in power and mpg when I went to 285 tires.

Old 01-25-04, 09:13 AM
wallyb
Visiting Guest
When I'm at speeds of 75, my rpm is about 2000. I did check tire pressure, they were about 32 psi, so I increased them to about 40 psi. Didn't really do much for my mpg. I have the correct size tires on it- 245/75/16. My exhaust is stock. My brake pads are needing repair, it seems like there is resistence coming from them??? Would putting a tonnue cover on it help it any?? I took the k & n filter out of it but it didn't change anything

Oh well, thanks guys for trying to help!!

Matt