ABS Brake Service

Old 01-20-04, 05:54 PM
HeroMouse
Visiting Guest
Question ABS Brake Service

I am having trouble finding information on the differences between servicing ABS Brakes, and non abs. I need to know if and what any extra are. As well as things to watch out for, Etcetera.
Any help would be very greatly appreciated.

Thankyou

(for mention sake I'm working on a 1997 Mercury Sable)

Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-04, 06:01 PM
There are alot of differences between ABS and Non-ABS systems. What exactly are you trying to do?
Billy

Old 01-21-04, 10:14 AM
HeroMouse
Visiting Guest
I am trying to change out the rear brakes, they're grinding.

Old 01-21-04, 10:55 AM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
Disc or drum? Providing you change nothing but the disc/shoes you shouldnt have any problem. However some calipers, you just dont compress the piston, some are required to be turned to compress them. Do one side at a time so you will have something to go by on the installation. If this is a first, I would try to obtain some type of service manual. Will be a big help.

Old 01-21-04, 01:36 PM
HeroMouse
Visiting Guest

It's not a first with brakes, just a first with ABS.
Thanks! I didn't want to just tinker my way through it.

Old 01-21-04, 04:39 PM
Like Darrell said, nothing really any different as far as the nuts and bolts of it. If you open the hydraulic system for any reason, such as replacing a caliper or a wheel cylinder, things get a little different, but even then still not much different. Most times there is no extra work involved if any at all to service an ABS eqipeed vehicle compared to a Non-ABS equipped vehicle'
Hope this helps ya,
Billy

Old 01-23-04, 05:59 PM
The main thing to do different when doing a "routine" brake job, on an ABS system, is to make sure you clamp off the rubber brake line, and open the bleeder screw of the caliper you're working with. This prevents trash from being pushed up into the ABS unit. Napa sells proper brake line clamps for around $12.00 a piece..
Other places like Autozone or Advanced should sell them also...