93 Aerostar 3L V6

Old 01-20-04, 08:52 PM
rkooy
Visiting Guest
93 Aerostar 3L V6

I used to have a 1990 Aerostar 3L V6, and I could get up to 700 km per tank (I think the tank was 75L).

Now I have a 1993 Aerostar 3L V6, and even though the engine has been meticulously maintained for the past 10 years, I can barely get 600 km to the tank!

I was told a possible cause may be that since my thermostat needs replacement (van runs cool, thermostat likely stuck open because it's old . . .), the van may not be running at optimum temperature efficiency. Could an old thermostat make such a fuel efficiency difference?

Or is there some other cause, eg. slightly different engine design, gear ratio, etc?

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Rob

Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-04, 09:33 PM
car_boy_16
Visiting Guest
Really it could be many things. First off, check your tire pressure, fill it up some if needed. Check your air filter for cleanliness, replace if it's dirty. Oxygen sensor replacement is something you might want to look into. Dragging brakes are another culprit to bad gas mileage. Yes old theromostats can cause bad gas milage. If my memory serves me right, it's because the coolant doesn't get up to optimum temp so the ecu is still enriching the engine as if the engine is in "cold start loop". And if the ecu thinks the engine is still cold, it will always inject more fuel through the fuel enrichment port. I would simply replace it, see if it helps, if it doesn't at least you got that old thermostat out of the way, but I would bet on it helping.