95 Dodge Caravan

Old 01-21-04, 12:05 PM
RudyTootie
Visiting Guest
95 Dodge Caravan

The axle on the drivers side, that comes from the engine into the wheel that turns the wheel, is called a universal joint shaft in the owners manual. The rubber boot around it is torn and dirt is iside. The maual says if these boots get torn, dirt could enter and cause you to replace the universal joint shaft.

The entire shaft vibrates up and down causing a vibration throughout the entire van. It does it when there is a load on the engine. It does not do it when the engine is in neutral and rpms are reved up.

My question is this, do I replace the entire shaft or does this shaft come apart somewhere before entering the engine. Also how do I do this? do I have to take the entire wheel off?

Engine is a six cyclinder, automatic drive.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-04, 02:11 PM
OK, that axle is not called a universal joint shaft when in the front of a vehicle. It's called a C/V joint (Constant velocity) and it's part of a front half shaft or drivwe axle. Yes, you will have to change the entire axle with a rebuilt unit. You have to separate the lower ball joint and remove the large center nut that holds the axle in. You pull away the hub and rotor so the axle will pull out of it from behind. Now you have to get it released from the transmission side. It is snapped in with a lock ring. In order to remoce it you have to stick a prybar under it and with a snapping motion, it will rerlease and slide out. Reverse the procedure to install. If you've never done something like this before, you should trust it to a local technician.

Old 01-21-04, 11:28 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
all correct except for one thing---no locking clip on the axle, it will just pull right out (once the other steps are done).

and you better have a bucket under the trans, or you will have a big mess quickly.

it really is an easy job, if you have trouble with the lower ball joint, unbolt the middle 2 sway bar mounts, then the lower control arm will come down with ease!

Old 01-22-04, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by mike from nj
all correct except for one thing---no locking clip on the axle, it will just pull right out (once the other steps are done).
Maybe I just used the wrong choice of words. Maybe "retainer clip" would describe it better. Anyway, it locks the axle tight enough that it won't come out by itself but can be released with a quick "pop" of a prybar.

Old 01-22-04, 11:44 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
up to and including 95 caravans('AS' body)----no clip whatsoever, just splines on the axle

96 and newer (different body style-'NS' body) has a locking clip, cir-clip, retainer clip---all the same thing

FYI

Old 01-23-04, 03:16 AM
Cool, never noticed that.