Grand Cherokee keeps singing with engine off

Old 01-21-04, 02:20 PM
kk007
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Grand Cherokee keeps singing with engine off

I have a 94 Jeep Grand Cherokee. It constantly makes a beeping sound even with the ignition key turn off and the key taken out. I finally disconnected the "Chime relay" to stop the sound. Dealer said that the problem is very unusual. the Chime relay costs around $65 but not even sure if that is the problem. I suspect there is a short some where. Without the chime relay (8 prongs, a small circuit board in a orange casing. Without the chime relay the remote car door lock does not work. Does anyone know anything about this? Can I just remove the diaphram ( a small thin metal plate that generates sound) from the box and leave the circuit board? Thanks for your help.

Kevin

Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-04, 04:19 PM
Re: Grand Cherokee keeps singing with engine off

Originally posted by kk007
Can I just remove the diaphram ( a small thin metal plate that generates sound) from the box and leave the circuit board? Thanks for your help.

Kevin
No, you'll have a current draw on your battery.

Your problem could be many things. I bet that chime is also tapped into the lights to chime when their left on too.

Old 01-21-04, 06:52 PM
kk007
Visiting Guest
Thank you for the reply.

Yes, you are right. The chime goes off on when the headlamp is left on with the ignition key out. I don't know what else is tied to it. I am sure, however, that the diaphram (correct name?) makes the sound when a small metal (hammer strikes the metal diaphram. I am not clear, however, why it would draw current from battery when there is no sound (no energy is being used). Anyway, I'd like to attempt to fix it by myself before taking it to a shop. Any suggestions that I should follow (any visual inspection, etc)? It has been cold here with lots of salt on the road to melt the snow. Any connection with this? Thanks for your help.

Kevin

Old 01-21-04, 11:52 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
maybe make a stop at your local library and find a wiring diagram.

see what signals the chimes to come on. depending on how the vehicle is wired, it may or may not cause a battery drain with it unplugged.

some cars have a different 'speed' of chimes. 'key in ignition' is a slow chime. 'headlights left on' is a fast chime. this would narrow your search down.

have you had any problems with the ignition switch lately, like the key not wanting to turn or come out. or maybe smelled a little smoke near the headlight switch. all clues to help you.

have you tried spraying a SMALL amount of lube into the ignition switch?

let us know

Old 01-22-04, 02:41 AM
Does it matter if the door is open or not?

Old 01-22-04, 04:08 AM
Originally posted by kk007
I am not clear, however, why it would draw current from battery when there is no sound (no energy is being used).
Kevin
It would draw because the module is activated and attempting to activate the signal and consuming amperage. I've located a few parasitic draws that turned out to be "silent" chime modules.
Your going to have to find what is triggering it to repair it as Mike has told you. It can be tough to find.

Old 01-22-04, 06:05 AM
kk007
Visiting Guest
Thank you everyone for your prompt replies. I will try to follow your recommendations.

To answer your questions, the sound started to come out one day while engine was runnig. The sound is not chime, which I characterize as the sound with a silent pause between. In my case, it's continuous sound (like low pitch siren) . I suspect that the metal hammer is stuck in position and generating continuous sound. Regardless, something is sending wrong (and strong) signal for the chime to be activated. The sound is there regardless whether the door is open or shut.

I have had no problem what so ever prior to this incident.

Any suggestion is appreciated. In the mean time, I will do what you suggested and let you know. Thank you again.

Kevin