Changing Headlight Bulb

Old 01-22-04, 10:28 AM
cynttex1
Visiting Guest
Changing Headlight Bulb

I have a 2001 Grand Prix Pontiac with a burnt out headlight bulb. The right side daytime running light does work or the regular headlight. The light only works on BRIGHT. Can I just replace the bulb? or is this electrical/wiring problem. Help,.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-04, 03:39 PM
JoeandChristal
Visiting Guest
It sounds to me as if the bulb just burnt out. they have 2 filaments in them, one for regular beam and another for high.
Theres 2 ways to handle this:
First, most oil change places/garages can do this while you wait for for a nominal fee. Around here its about 25/ 30 dollars.
Or for about 20 minutes of time and 15 bucks you can do it!
Open the hood and look right behind the lens. You should see a plug with 2 wires coming out of it, this is the socket for the headlight bulb. Hold the rubber part and twist it counterclockwise (DO NOT DO THIS BY PULLING THE WIRE!!!!!). About a 1/4 turn you should feel the bulb back out and you can pull it out of the housing.
On the black part of the bulb you will see a # printed on it
(9004/9006 ect) thats the replacement number for you to look for at the store.
Replacement is the reverce of the removal accept for one small thing. Never ever ever touch the glass of the new bulb!!!!
The oil from your fingers will cause the new bulb to pop when it reaches full heat. been there done that once or twice.
Good luck,
Joe

Old 01-22-04, 03:59 PM
If the headlamp works on high beam the bulb is not at fault.Daytime running lights are the high beams on at a low intensity.I'm hoping I understand that what you meant was the drl and lowbeam do not work?Your lowbeam bulb may be out, test for power and ground there with a test lamp or voltmeter.Your car may still be under warranty if under 3yr 36k.

Old 01-22-04, 05:00 PM
I just did headlights on one of these last week and its a little more involved than just taking the old bulb out and replacing it. The one I worked on I had to take the entire headlamp assembly out to replace the bulb. There was absolutely no access to the bulb otherwise. There is a plastic panel on the top in front of the radiator. There are about 8 push pins that you will have to remove to take this panel off. Pull up on the pin in the center and when it reaches full extension the rest of the pin should come out easily. There are 2 different sizes of these pins so you will have to put them back in the same place they came out of. There are 2 10mm bolts holding each headlamp in as well as 2 quick release slides. They look like little L brackets behind the headlamp. Pull up on them and you will realize how they function. When reinstalling the headlamp be sure that the adjusters are fully seated into place or the quick release's will not snap into place nad hold the headlamp properly.
Hope this is helpful to ya,
Billy