Noise at slow speeds

Old 01-22-04, 06:38 PM
SirgoBlazer
Visiting Guest
Noise at slow speeds

I just got this Toyota Rav4 2wd auto and it makes a noise that's most apparent when vehicle is traveling around 25 mph and coasting. Sounds a bit like (howling wind) .Noise seems to be drowned at higher speeds and disssipates as vehicle slows down.Transmission shifts smoothly. Drives nice and straight, good gas mileage.No evidence of previous repaired front end collision, two new tires in the front.
Dealer says these s.u.v have a high level of cabin noise due to poor insulation at firewall. That this problem has been corrected in the 2001 and up model. I work long hours and haven't had the time to test drive another vehicle similar to mine to make a comparison.
I worry that it might be front bearings and they are just giving me the run around.
I never owned a front wheel drive vehicle before. I'm thinking, maybe all front wheel drives sound like this.I was used to the comforts of a 4Runner before.
Your help and wisdom is most appreciated in this matter. Thank you all in advance.

Old 01-23-04, 05:41 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I would suggest taking it to someone else for an opinion. Especially as a sound is very difficult to diagnose properly without actually hearing it.
Billy

Old 01-23-04, 06:03 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Need to have some one check it out, could be a wheel bearing or cupped tire(can be a rear tire).

Pitch the vehicle from left to right at the 25 mph and see if the noise changes.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: