Front end noise and difficult gearshift

Old 01-24-04, 07:11 PM
Front end noise and difficult gearshift

Finally got my wife's Altima road worthy again after $630 worth of clutch repair.

Problem is my beleaguered 94 Honda Civic EX 5 speed has been pulling 4 weeks of double duty while the Altima was out of commission.

My fabulous Honda has 131,000 miles and has developed a noise from the front right. It sounds like the tire is out of balance (a fwump-fwump-fwump that varies with the speed of the car) but the balance was adjusted and did not solve the problem. It makes the noise even when I shift out of gear. It seems worse when making left turns, especially if it's sharp or I take it fast. I was thinking CV joints, but it isn't "clunking."

Any ideas?

Also, the gearshift is becoming more difficult to engage. The car still shifts gears smoothly, but the shifter feels less smooth and more metallic than it used to. Is there fluid in the shifter base? It almost feels as if there was once and now there is less or none at all.

Thanks again for everyone's help. You all help very much.

allenzachary

Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-04, 09:42 PM
Sounds like it might be the right front wheel bearing.

Hondas use a long linkage rod on the shifter, try spraying under the car at the shifter linkage.

Old 01-25-04, 01:57 PM
I don't feel anything vibrations associated with the noise. Do you still think it's the wheel bearing? How tough is that to fix? I'm feeling adventurous.

And what should I spray on the shifter linkage?

allenzachary

Old 01-25-04, 02:52 PM
You might need the ear of a pro...one clue is you say its get louder when you make left turns. That puts more force on the right front when you turn left.

Any spray like WD-40 etc.