Old 01-30-04, 07:06 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question transmission cooler?

Hi,
I just bought a 1997 F-150 XLT extened cab stepside 4x4,with the
4.6L motor,and 3:55 axle and tow pkg.
I will be towing a 6,000 29ft travel trailer this summer.
I only tow about 20 miles each way,normally.We use it on weekends.
Do you recomend installing a transmission cooler on this truck?
If so is this something I could do myself??What size do you recomend using?Thanks

Old 01-30-04, 09:51 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
a trans cooler can never hurt a trans, unless it's restrictive inside or installed wrong. rubber or steel lines left unsecured and rubbing on ANYTHING will quickly rub through and result in a leak(meaning--a burnt up trans)

for a 3 mile tow, of a travel trailer, you'd be surprised how quickly the fluid heats up, one big hill or getting stuck in mud can overheat the trans.

the greatest peace of mind you can have is a factory add-on cooler. yes, it's more expensive than the universal, one size fits all cooler on the shelf at autozone or in the discount catalog. the factory one will bolt right up with no major modifications, and will have every piece you need to complete the job. it will also be sized exactly for the trans.

you will also enjoy your entire weekend, NOT worrying if those plastic zip-ties will hold the cooler next to the radiator for the whole trip.

i have removed more than one hokey-installed trans cooler while i'm rebuilding the trans.

first check to see if you don't already have the added cooler, most factory 'tow packages' i've seen already have the extra cooler, a bigger radiator, stronger fan clutch and even a trans temp sensor with a warning light.

if you do add one, it goes AFTER the one in the radiator.

Old 01-31-04, 02:25 AM
Y
I would difinitely suggest a trans-cooler regardless if you have a factory cooler or not. I mean the factory cooler will do the job but you will be running the trans temp to the max and it will shorting the life of your trans.
I personally never had any problems with any of the aftermarket trans coolers I've installed, but like Mike from NJ said it must be installed correctly and installed in a good location.
If your not sure really how to install a cooler, have a professional install it.
The only con I have found with coolers is, in the winter especially if your not towing the trans will run cool, maybe to cool. I usually place a piece of card-board over the cooler and it fixes the problem.
When towing that much weight on your truck, also be concerned about your brakes. You don't want to heat those brakes up or you could run into problems.
Just my 2 cents, good luck

Old 01-31-04, 03:54 AM
Originally posted by YellowTang
The only con I have found with coolers is, in the winter especially if your not towing the trans will run cool, maybe to cool. I usually place a piece of card-board over the cooler and it fixes the problem.
How can a transmission run"too cool"? There's no such thing as "too cool". If it acts up in cold weather, it has a problem.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: