Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

95 Probe, fuel pump, i think

Visiting Guest

01-27-04, 12:23 AM   #1  
kathia n
95 Probe, fuel pump, i think

we have a 95 Ford Probe. i was drivig the car when it suddenly jeked. it lunged me forward. The car would then not accelarate over 40 mph. It slowly decreased to only 20 mph, then finally puttered all the way out. I tried starting it after that, and it would just rev, but would not turn over. I finally had it towed, and has been sitting in my front yard ever since. I asked around and found out that itis probably my fuel pump. Being a woman, i have no idea if this info is right, or what to do about it. My question is- Is it my fuel pump, and do i have to take it to a mechanic to have it fixed, or can you tell me how to do it and then i could have my dad do it? Thank you very much for your time.

Sponsored Links

01-27-04, 02:47 AM   #2  
First of all, NOBODY can tell you what's wrong with that car without seeing it. The symptoms do match a fuel pump but other things could also be to blame. You could check for fuel pressure but this still would not tell you the actual cause. It should be checked by a technician. As for doing it yourself, that would be difficult. The fuel pump is located inside the gas tank and the tank must be removed. Very difficult without a lift and a transmission jack to assist.

Search this Thread