Transmission Fluid Change

Old 01-27-04, 05:47 AM
Edmac
Visiting Guest
Transmission Fluid Change

Hello Everybody,

I was told by two different transmission shops that changing the transmission fluid is bad for a car that does not have it's trany fluid changed regularly.

That doesn't make a lot of sense, but their argument is good. They said if you change the fluid in a car that hasn't had it changed regulary, it will cause transmission problems? They said changing the fluid will cause the sediment in the parts to come loose and will actually make the transmission go bad.

Could anyone shed some light this?

Thanks,
Ed's son Mike

Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-04, 01:26 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
All the owners manuals I've seen say that changing is not necessary unless the car is driven under "severe conditions". They usually equate severe to taxi service or similar.
Someone told me that new fulid is slightly abrasive and can loosen sediment which is actually keeping seals from leaking.
Probably the best suggestion is - if it's pink and don't stink - leave it alone.

Old 01-27-04, 03:32 PM
Transmission fluid has detergent additives that keep particles in suspension in the fluid to be removed by the filter.The detergents kinda wear out and can't suspend the particles and they start to stick on everything.Then you change the fluid adding new detergents and all the particles came loose and cause passages to clog,valves to stick etc then the tranny dies.Engine oil and gasoline also contain detergents to attempt to keep the engine and fuel system clean.