Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

'99 Ford Explorer V8 (E.B. Edition)

OR

01-27-04, 02:04 PM   #1  
'99 Ford Explorer V8 (E.B. Edition)

We just purchased this rig about 3 months ago. It seems like a great vehicle but I would like to change the plugs and the wires because I don't know when that was last done (if at all). It appears that the plugs on the driver's side may be a bit difficult to get to. Please advise the best way to access these plugs.

Also, are there any problems I should watch out for with the automatic transmission and the all-wheel drive system? I will be pulling a boat trailer weighing approx 3,000 lbs.

Thanks in advance for your help and advice.

Sponsored Links

01-27-04, 03:22 PM   #2  
I don't know an easy way to change the plugs.I would put a trans cooler on it and replace the fluid/filter.All wheel drive t-cases need serviced occaisionally also use Ford approved fluids during service.Keep the tires all the same size and preferably amount of wear(maintain the roration schedule).Running uneven tires on an all wheel drive vehicle will smoke the t-case.

01-29-04, 08:38 PM   #3  
I take it this has a 5.0 liter. With all wheel drive right? If so go thru the wheel opening and remove the rubber mud flap. Than you can get to all the spark plugs with a long extension. 3' extension work great.

WV

01-30-04, 03:34 AM   #4  
That is exactly what I did yesterday on a 96 model with the 5.0. I removed the wheels too. The mud flap Hogfan speaks of is just held on with some push pins. they are a bugger to get out sometimes and occasionally will break, but they go back in easy. The number 6 plug was the hardest and it wasnt really that hard. A suggestion I have is to get yourself about a 8 inch piece of 3/8 fuel line to slip over the plug end to start the plug into the cylinder head. It sure makes things easier, and you wont cross thread them this way. Be prepared to change the wires too as they may be brittle and pull out or break. If it has the 4.0 the same applies, but they actually are a little more difficult to get to.
Hope this is helpful to ya,
Billy

OR

01-30-04, 08:52 AM   #5  
Thanks for the responses!

I'm going to tackle the plugs tomorrow and I'm sure your timely advice will make the job easier at the very least.

I've also made an appointment with my transmission guy to service the tranny and t-cases.

This is a nice rig and I want to keep it well maintained.

Thanks again for all the help.

OR

02-03-04, 11:52 AM   #6  
Fantastic advice - this was one of the easiest plug changes I have ever done. Removal of the shields was simple with the use of a claw hammer to pry out the clips and all plugs were within easy reach. Didn't even have to remove the wheels.

Thanks again.

Search this Thread