96 maxima clutch master cylinder

Old 01-27-04, 04:50 PM
96 maxima clutch master cylinder

Need some opionions from this great forum. I found the tank on the clutch master cylinder empty, after it was reported to me the car would not shift right. So I filled the tank with brake fluid, bled the lines using the drain at the slave. Got it working again, but it just don't feel right. It seems I have to push the clutch pedal all or near the floor to fully disengage. I did adjust all the way out with the adjustment at the pedal, it still just don't feel right, seems like there is too much play in the pedal. Car has 157K miles, are no leaks to be found around the master cylinder or anywhere along the hydraulic line.

Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-04, 04:59 PM
Re: 96 maxima clutch master cylinder

Originally posted by djengr
Car has 157K miles, are no leaks to be found around the master cylinder or anywhere along the hydraulic line.

Any thoughts?
That can't be. It's leaking either out the back of the master, possibly under the dash or at the slave cylinder. The reason your pedal isn't right is because there is still air in the system but your going to have to find the leak and fix it first. It's very hard to get all the air out because the line is vertical with the bleeder at the bottom. The air tends to rise.

Old 01-27-04, 09:28 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
yes---low fluid means a leak, you just haven't found it yet.

get a flashlight and look up under the dash at the back of the master cylinder, any wetness= a leak

same goes for the slave cylinder, although you usually can't see the same seal there--it's usually inside the trans

at 157,000 miles, you should be counting you blessings that it went this far.

i work for a different, not as big a name import. whenever i replace/rebuild one or the other(slave or master), i usually get burned because the other starts leaking almost as quick. (it makes me look bad when a car comes back for the same problem)

my solution--i rebuild both components at the same time. i give the customer the option of the rebuild or replace.

at the most there will be a small snap ring holding it together. old parts out--thorough cleaning---new parts in. i haven't had a single problem yet. and the rebuild parts over the dealer's counter are pretty cheap too, especially compared to replacement units.

as far as bleeding a system----i've chased my tail for way too long trying to bleed it after replacing only one component. it turns out the seal's internal spring was rusted and broken. with every pedal pump came a fresh spurt of air. with every 'up stroke' of the pedal, it was sucking air back into the slave cylinder past the seal.

that's why i do them both now

you shouldn't be adjusting the pedal 'free play' either, if there's no slop there, the piston will never retract fully, never letting fluid vent back to the resevoir, and as you drive and heat up the fluid, it expands and holds the clutch partially engaged, to a point of it slipping. this i've seen more than once.

let us know what you do

Old 01-28-04, 03:35 AM
you have a leak

No if ands or buts about it you have a leak.Use your fingers and nose to find it.Get up under the dash were the rod comes thru the firewall rub your fingers over the carpet and smell does it smell like brake fluid?
I have found leaks like that because the fluid is hard to see on carpet and the only thing you can do is smell for it.Also pull back the rubber dust cup on the slave is it wet?

Old 01-28-04, 10:47 AM
Thanks everyone, I should have said, have not found leak yet. Did not think about changing both slave cylinder and master cylinder.

DJ

Old 01-28-04, 02:20 PM
do both

I would change both not a hard job because once you change one the other goes south shortly after.

Old 01-28-04, 04:12 PM
Re: do both

Originally posted by michael van
I would change both not a hard job because once you change one the other goes south shortly after.
That's the route I usually take also.

Old 01-29-04, 02:55 AM
Agree with others:

I would replace/rebuild both. Seems like you replace/rebuild one the other ones leaks, it becomes the weakest part of the system.

Old 01-29-04, 03:50 AM
I don't know how good of luck these dealer guys are having with the rebuilding instead of replacing but I've found that too many times there is pitting in the housing and leads to subsequent replacement anyway. I've found it much more reliable to either use a factory rebuild or new part.