94 T Bird Engine light

Old 01-27-04, 09:25 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
94 T Bird Engine light

My 94 TBIRD check engine light has come on and it is idleing a little rough when warm. It has 115,000 on it and I replaced one of four Oxy sensors a while back. I suspect another Oxy sensor going bad. The parts people suggest replacing at 100,000. My idea is to replace the sensors and stop the $150 fee to have Ford tell me I have another bad one and have to pay their high price for the sensor and installation. If it does not clear the light then it is down to ford to find the problem. I am hoping if I do this I will not have to deal with anymore oxy sensors for another 100,000 miles and save analyzing and replacing them one at a time. I can replace them myself and buy them cheaper at Ford. Does this sound like a good plan?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-04, 09:57 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
any time the check engine light is on, there is a stored code. it could be on for a hundred different things.

you might save even more money by 'reading' that code and maybe someone here can help you 'diagnose' what is wrong with your car.

does a 94 really have four sensors? i though that didn't start until 96

by the way, which engine?

you can always buy cheaper parts than ford, but that doesn't always mean better. what if that new sensor is bad already, and you have to pay for it twice, now is that really cheaper than one good sensor? some aftermarket stuff is literally junk.

let us know

Old 01-28-04, 05:16 AM
Hego's sensor are more durable than people think and are not the problem most of the time. These sensors indicate weather or not the car is running Lean or Rich. Now what is causing the car to run Lean or Rich could be what ever? Such as a vacuum leak, Maf sensor dirty from not changing the air filter and etc. The code gives us a place to start with the problem but you have to know what direction to go with the code. And that's why shop's charge so much to fix the problem! If you could just buy a tester that fixed the problem we would be flood with TECH'S. Something else to add is if most Tech's think like I do when you get a job and you raise the hood to see that it's got new parts hung everywhere on it puts them in a differnt mood. I think well if they would have just bought their car here we could have save them from buying all those HEGO's and that set of spark plugs and etc. But I understand the DEALER's get a BAD RAP on this. What's funny to me is to see somrthing that they replaced and it was a RECALL? Sorry about this but just had to VENT!

ASE MASTER
L1
SENIOR MASTER TECH WITH FORD

FIX IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME! " FORD'S SAYING"

If you can get the code I will be glad to help.

Old 01-28-04, 06:00 AM
slider
Visiting Guest
You can read the codes with your engine light. Do a search for EEC IV codes and find how or here is one I found with a quick search.

http://members.aol.com/traumapir8/EEC.html

If you have a service manual, it should have codes or you can look here.

http://www.njtacc.com/tech/eec_codes.html

It can be a bit frustrating since it's easy to miscount flashes but it is doable. I have an '89 Super Coupe and diagnosed a problem myself this way. Good luck.

BTW, I've heard that some parts stores like Advance will loan/rent code readers. Never checked it out myself though.

Old 01-28-04, 09:23 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Slider,
Those links are pretty cool. i will try those this weekend. My old Cad would do it without the jumpers. Easy enough to make a set. Thanks and will let you know.

Old 02-07-04, 05:01 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Success The t-bird ended up not being the EEC-IV but the OBD-II. Went to buy a scanner at Schucks, couldn't figure what it was. Went to autoxray.com found out it was a OBD-II and the EZ-Read 2000 would work. Searched Schucks and found out the have scanners to rent. Cost me $6 to rent. Code read slow switching O2 sensor on right side. Bought a O2 sensor. Found two on each side. One looked like it had been replaced so I replaced the older one. Cleared the codes drove for a while and the light stayed off.

Old 02-07-04, 11:34 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
sometimes it takes a while for a problem to reappear, it might even take more than one trip, hopefully it's fixed though, based on the code you had.

my curiosity is why is a 1994 vehicle an OBDII vehicle? i know some 95s were early obd2, but a 94 too?

that's the first i've heard of that.

Old 02-08-04, 07:33 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The 4.6 engine started in 1994 with OBD-II. The conector is of course different than the ford. I ran her for quite a while, hope it does not come back. If it does I may just replace the other O2 sensor on the right side.

Old 02-08-04, 08:31 AM
We had OBII on '94 V6 Camry's. The reason was the govt stated if you redesign or have a new engine it must be OBII compliant. That engine was all new for '94.

If you used a current design you had till '96 to comply. The 4 cly didn't get OBII till '96 because they were using an old design.

I'll have to say '94 was the first time the T-bird had the 4.6.

Last edited by toyotaman11769; 02-08-04 at 11:22 AM.
Old 02-08-04, 11:14 AM
1fireman
Visiting Guest
Just an FYI that someone gave me on this forum not all that long ago. A great place to get ford parts is at www.fordpartsonline.com

they discount their prices on most everything, and yes, usually more than enough to cover shipping depending on what you get. I have compared them many times to my local dealer and the dealer hasnt been within 10 percent on anything, not even light bulbs. Im sure you can get aftermarket parts for less, but Im an OEM guy in most cases.