rear brake issue

Old 01-28-04, 08:10 AM
rear brake issue

I have a '95 Chevy Cavalier w/130,000 miles...lately, the rear passenger side brake will seem to "grab" or "lock" temporarily without stepping on the brake pedal...seems to happen when I'm just starting out to drive in the morning and on cold days...after I've been driving a while, it doesn't do this...there are disc brakes on the front and drum brakes on the rear...usually happens when backing up, but also happens when going forward, also...yesterday, it practically stopped me from moving...almost feels like i backed over something or hit something when it happens...the rear of the car lurches downward when it does this...I have always set the emergency brake firmly when i park...and left the car in gear (standard transmission)...I have changed the front disc brake pads myself, but the rear drum brakes have never been serviced...I hear they are complicated to work on...

Any advice greatly appreciated...

Sincerely,
Matt

Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-04, 10:35 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If you can safely do so, try leaving the car overnight without using the parking brake. The brake cable may be stiff and not fully releasing. It is also possible that the brake shoe is freezing to the drum. Either one could cause your problem. There may be other internal brake problems but this could be a first step .

Old 01-28-04, 10:45 AM
thanks goldstar...i'll check it out...

Old 01-28-04, 06:11 PM
If it's not a hand brake issue, those Chevies are notorious for leaky wheel cylinders contaminating brake shoes and making them very sticky and give you a symptom just like that. Pull the drum and see if the shoes have a very dark color to them. The drum will be tacky instead of dusty.

Last edited by Desi501; 01-29-04 at 04:39 PM.
Old 01-29-04, 03:05 PM
grease

I had a chevy truck that I used to take my boat to the lake and I would get the brakes under the water often this washed out the grease between the backing plate and shoes.I had the same symptoms.I would check it out and since you have such high mileage you might just go and replace them.Use a little high temp grease were the shoes ride on the backing plate also the screw adjuster needs lube.

Old 01-29-04, 05:37 PM
thanks guys....a friend and me are gonna pull the drums on both sides this weekend and have a look...i have to admit, i left the emerg brake "off" for the last two days and the problem has subsided as far as i can tell...but we're gonna have a look-see anyway...

thanks again for everyone's help and i'll let you all know what i find out...

matt
groves, tx

Old 01-29-04, 06:31 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
While you are at it, a little lubricant on the emergency brake cable would be a good idea. Lube it where the cable enters the sheath on the back of each drum, and also inside the car where the cable enters the sheath. then work the brake a few times to distribute the lube. Do this with the drums on the car.

Search this Thread