steering

Old 01-28-04, 02:27 PM
steering

1991 Chevy Lumina sedan. 3.1 liter 6 cyl automatic. Icy conditions I slid into a curb and popped the tire off the rim and damaged the rim (front passenger side). I was making a left hand turn and the wheels were in that position at impact. Probably no more than 10-15 kmh. Replaced rim and two new tires. Car drove fine initially(or so it seemed, driven very little) But now it wanders a little, and when standing in front, said tire looks towed inward a little, and top of tire leans outward from the vertical. I understand it needs immediate attention but my question is what possible parts would I need for a proper alignment. Would it be just a few parts like tie rod or could it be a financial disaster. Would it need work to only one side or if one side is damaged you have to do the other. I have done brakes(with your help) and alternators and such on this car but this is beyond my skill level. Also, it is winter and I have no warm/dry place to do it myself. How can I get a fair and honest estimate as to the damage and repairs that are needed. I have a shop manual I can refer to if some things are explained to me but personally I dont see any obvious damage(visually) when I look under the car. P.S. I had the tire replaced at a nationwide franchise and never did they mention any damage other than the rubber and rim and neither did they suggest an alignment. So, basically, how will I know an honest estimate when I get one. Thank for all your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-04, 03:59 PM
IF you dont trust someone you are never going to get a fair/honest estimate. The first thing to do is take it to a reputable shop, either independent or a dealer. There is no way we can tell you what is wrong from here. We can give you suggestions as to what it is, but other than that you are going to have to let someone put their eyes on it. Probably a lower control arm slightly bent and thats why you cant tell just by looking at it.
Hope this is helpful to ya,
Billy

Old 01-28-04, 04:10 PM
It going to have to be checked out by a trained eye, somebody with a lot of collision experience. You usually find these guys at body shops or a repair shop that does undercar repairs for a body shop. Most general repair techs don't have the eye for that stuff. You could have bent the lower control arm, the knuckle, the strut and likely the tie rod. Get it checked right away or you'll peel your tires off in real short order.

Old 02-01-04, 07:16 AM
steering

I brought it in to my local Speedy and they said they didn't have the euipment to give a proper assessment though they do alignments. They said there was a definite "bend" but they could not tell where exactly. They suggested a place that has a "laser" to see if it is the strut or frame or what. He said they have the proper technology. I guess there is a machine that is designed for this? Have you heard of this? Anyway the shop he told me of is quite a drive so how could I look for a closer shop that has this device I need? He suggested it could be anything from a control arm to a bent frame. Obviously a best/worst case respectively. Who or what kind of auto service or shop am I looking for that could pinpoint exactly what my problem is and the cost of fixing it.

Old 02-01-04, 07:53 AM
Like Desi said.... ANY major collision repair shop WILL be able to determine where the damage is and give you a fair and accurate estimate. Unfortunately it may not be cheap. Look in the Yellow pages of your phone book.
Billy

Search this Thread