Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

RWD tranny noises

01-30-04, 09:34 AM   #1  
RWD tranny noises

My car is starting to fall apart piece by piece :-( Car is a 84 Toyota celica, 187K miles

I get some metal-on-metal scraping/squealing noises somewhere between the transmission and the diff. But it sounds like it's emanating closer to the middle/rear of the car based on what I think I'm hearing if I hold the door open while I'm driving down the road slowly. It's been doing this for about a 1.5 years intermittently, now it's almost everyday.

I can't see anything funny while under the car. Noise only happens when the car is moving and when in gear and when I have the foot on the gas. It goes away if I let off the gas and coast.

I think my center bearing might be worn since something is rattling just behind the gear box also. Might be related to the scraping noise(??). Haven't had a chance to really shake it around since that propeller shaft is kinda heavy while I'm lying on my back. But the last time I briefly glanced at it when I dropped the tranny, it 'seemed' to be OK. I'll need to check it more thoroughly.

Fluid levels are OK

Anyone have/had something similar?

thanks
aaron

Sponsored Links

01-30-04, 08:54 PM   #2  
Do these guys have a universal joint in between the tranny and diff?
I've had rwd American cars with u-joints that crunched, clunked, and or squealed

Visiting Guest

01-30-04, 09:18 PM   #3  
mike from nj
get the car safely up on jack stands, block the front wheels very well, drive the rear tires until you hear the noise and climb under it carefully. i've done it before.

i'm thinking you might have a worn out hanger bearing, just my guess.

02-01-04, 01:38 PM   #4  
Hi guys,
I just crawled under the car. The u-joint immediately behind the gearbox is completely worn out. (The driveshaft has 1 in front, and 1 in the back next to the diff. ) There's quite a bit of play in it. This would explain all the clunking, thunking, and especially the rattling.

Looks like I have to swap out the entire front half of the driveshaft. Can't just replace the joint. It $mell$ expen$ive. :-(

I think I'll swap this out first and see if the squealing goes away also.

Any thoughts on how long center bearings last? Wonder if I should replace it since I have to take it off anyways. It still appears OK. It has a rubber mount to let it jiggle around somewhat. If I yank on it, it'll move a tad, but it rotates smoothly.

thanks again!

Visiting Guest

02-01-04, 08:19 PM   #5  
mike from nj
a center bearing lasts until it's worn out.

most every two piece driveshaft i've seen was balanced as an assembly, and you could not replace only half without rebalancing the whole thing.

if it was a standard u-joint, i would just replace that and leave everything else alone.

Search this Thread