fan draining battery

Old 01-31-04, 07:40 AM
Vicki James
Visiting Guest
fan draining battery

Hello

I have a 98 Plymouth Voyager Minivan. The battery is going dead within an hour. The fan runs continuously after van is turned off until battery is dead. Any ideas what would cause this?

Vicki

Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-04, 08:13 AM
Sounds like either a stuck fan relay or a bad fan sensor.

Old 01-31-04, 10:35 AM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
you need to call any dealer with your vin number and see if you have any outstanding recalls.

recall #771 may apply to your van and is for.....radiator fan relay replacement

let us know if it applies or not, someone here can help you if it's not covered.

in the mean time, you can pull the maxi-fuse from the underhood fuse and relay center, this will shut off the fan. remember to reinstall it when you drive or you will cause other problems.

Old 01-31-04, 11:21 AM
Vicki James
Visiting Guest
Thanks so much for the help. I will let you know what I find out Monday about the recall and whether or not it is a sensor.

Thanks again,
Vicki

Old 01-31-04, 06:20 PM
This happened with my LeBaron. Sometimes a good tap on the relay will unstick it. But that's just a temporary measure. Get the cooling fan relay replaced.

Old 02-04-04, 02:27 PM
Vicki James
Visiting Guest
Thanks for all the replies. There was no recall involved with the vehicle. My brother in law helped with the repair. It turned out to be a sensor underneath the radiator. Odd spot?? The van is working now but there still are four indicator lights out of five indicator lights that light up and blink continuouly while the vehicle is being driven. The dealership mechanics told me it was an error code and it needs to be reset. They want fifty bucks to reset it. Does anyone know how to do this so I can save myself the fifty bucks?

Thanks kindly,

Vicki

Old 02-04-04, 11:16 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
that sensor next to the radiator IS the fan relay. it is down there because it needs a good stream of cooling airflow. also the bolts need to be good and tight, holding it to the frame(very important)

which lights are you talking about? unplugging the battery for a few minutes should take care of the codes and the check engine light. i don't know what other lights could even come on.

(which engine too, do you have)

Old 02-05-04, 04:01 AM
Originally posted by mike from nj
unplugging the battery for a few minutes should take care of the codes and the check engine light.
That's OBDII, doesn't that require a scanner to clear codes, not just disconnecting the battery.

Old 02-05-04, 01:56 PM
Vicki James
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the info. The indicator lights I was referring to are in the lower part of the center dash, below the drink cups. They are the indicator lights for the rear wiper, rear wiper with fluid, air conditioning. Engine is a four cylinder, 2.4 .

Vicki

Old 02-05-04, 03:50 PM
Sounds like it's time to pull out the owners manual. The answers to what those lights mean will be in there.

Old 02-07-04, 08:58 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
desi---we were both told that, but in reality, all codes dissappear, adaptives reset, all learned values are gone and the light will reset unless there is obviously a hard fault

vicki, oh yeah, those lights, i forgot.

unless you've already done so, those blinking lights mean you need to recalibrate the temperature control head, it's easy, it might even be in the owner's manual

let us know if it isn't

Old 02-07-04, 09:22 PM
Vicki James
Visiting Guest
Mike,

Thanks....so that is what I need to do. I will check out the manual tonight. It is actually my husbands van and I am the poster on this site so I am relaying info. This can be hard. I will let you know how it goes.

Vicki

Old 02-07-04, 10:01 PM
Vicki James
Visiting Guest
Hello Mike,

It is not in the owners manual.

Vicki

Old 02-15-04, 05:27 PM
Vicki James
Visiting Guest

Old 02-16-04, 11:10 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
from memory:

car idling, a/c off, (it helps to run it with the heat on for a few minutes)
blower motor on HIGH,
'mode' position knob to the 'face' position,
one or both (depends if you have single or dual front zones)temp select slides to COLD,

hold down the upper left and lower left buttons for a few seconds until all the lights come on.

this starts the calibration mode, and the performance test.
it will flash various buttons, and change all the settings as it runs the test, it ends when the top/left button flashes very slow. hit that button once to verify the test is over.

if the a/c was on, it won't measure any cooling down of the evaporator (because it was already cold) and it might fail the test. if there is no freon in the system, it will also fail the test.
you will know if it fails if something still blinks after the test is done. whatever button flashes, means something different.

if it passed the test, everything will work normal(hopefully)

Old 02-28-04, 09:42 AM
Vicki James
Visiting Guest
Mike,

That worked !! Thanks for all the help.

Vicki

Search this Thread