89 Chevy Cavalier

Old 01-28-04, 07:35 PM
bmitchell
Visiting Guest
89 Chevy Cavalier

Hello,
I am having a problem. When I excelorate the starts jumping and some time dies. When I stop it dies. I have put a different coil pack (used) on it, a different EGR valve (used) and a O2 sencor (new). Could someone please tell me what they think is wrong with it?
Billy

Old 01-29-04, 02:47 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
First, stop throwing used parts at it. Your going to end up creating new problems that you don't already have. Have the computer scanned and report back here with whatever codes are found. And when you do.....year, make model, engine size, mileage

Old 01-30-04, 06:27 PM
bmitchell
Visiting Guest
Hello,
Thank you for your reply. I did as you said and got the comp. scanned. The details of the car are
89 Chevy Cavalier
2.0 4 cyclinder
about 170,000 miles
What the scan said is the ignition module, coils, and the crank shaft position censor are bad.
I still have the coil and ignition module I took out. I went and had them tested and were told they are good. I plan on putting them back in and changing the crank shaft position censor. Do you think this is the right thing to do?
Also, do you know if there is a web site that will tell me step by step how to change it? The tec and the garage said that it often braeks and you have to dig it out. I will be thakful for any help you can give me.
The garage wants $712 to fix it. I only gave $100 for the car so I figure I will do it myself and if I cant I am only ouy $100.
Thank you for your time
Billy

Old 01-30-04, 06:53 PM
That doesn't sounf right at all. When I said have it scanned I meant scan the computer for codes. I seriously doubt all those parts are bad in any are. It really sounds like that tech could be just throwing parts also. I hate to send you all over but I really think you may have been given some bad info. There is no equipment that will just tell you those are bad. A bad crank sensor will generally cause an "no start" and not the symptom you are describing. From your description, I can't really tell what is happening some someone else is going to have to determine whether the ignition is breaking down or something else is happening. One listen is worth a thousand paragraphs of descriptions.

Old 02-01-04, 06:04 AM
D
Did this so called tech give you the actual code #s?I would like to know what they are.Does the engine idle rough or misfire?Is it backfiring during accel?Has the fuel pressure been checked and fuel filter replaced?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: