Toyota Tundra Running rough

Old 02-01-04, 06:55 AM
Toyota Tundra Running rough

Hey guys
Have a 2000 Toyota Tundra 8cyl auto w/ 64K. Just last week it started running rough. Smooth at idle, but after 20 min of city driving started running rough, almost as if it was missing. Went to dealer, asked about " no tune-up for 100K". He stated true, but, at 60K it will require an adjustment. To the tune of $450. When I asked him what kind of adjustment He talked me into a circle. I didnt want to appear rude so I thought I would ask you guys first. I was going to go to another dealer but it was late in the day. Is there some kind of 60 K adjustment ??????
Thanx
Bill from Ohio

Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-04, 07:59 AM
When exactly does it run rough, after 20 mins of driving then at idle?

Does it idle lower than it use to? The throttle plate and housing is possibly dirty. It has no ISC motor, it uses drive by wire technologly. Uses a motor to control throttle plate.

Is the Check engine lite on? As far as maintenance do what the maintenance book by the manufacturer states.

Old 02-02-04, 05:24 AM
The truck does just the opposite. It idles fine. It starts to miss a little when accelerating and at 30-35 mph. I have been almost anal about scheduled maintenance. Primarily my question was regarding this $500 adjustment, and if there is such an animal.Thanx
Bill

Old 02-02-04, 06:31 AM
I would think ignition wires would be a likely candidate at that mileage but I can't understand what kind of dance that dealer is doing.

Old 02-02-04, 07:34 AM
Thank you. I will replace wires . I was very concerned about the dealers motives also.
Bill

Old 02-02-04, 01:36 PM
You really cannot change the wires because there isn't any. It has coil packs for each cly.

I think your problem is your lack of not changing the plugs, they are due every 15k, so you are four times overdue!

The 2003 has iriduim tip 100k plugs, not yours