Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

thermostat housing 86 buick lesabre

Visiting Guest

02-01-04, 04:16 PM   #1  
byb
thermostat housing 86 buick lesabre

can anyone tell me how to get the dam thing off.I removed the upper rad hose and the bracket but cant get the housing out of the top of the motor.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

OH

02-01-04, 07:41 PM   #2  
Does it have the 3800 engine? If so, there should just be two bolts holding the water outlet to the engine.

Visiting Guest

02-10-04, 05:12 PM   #3  
frank997
Re: thermostat housing 86 buick lesabre

Originally posted by byb
can anyone tell me how to get the dam thing off.I removed the upper rad hose and the bracket but cant get the housing out of the top of the motor.
I had a stubborn oneone time. The guy who had the car before used shellac and the rubber seal to double check the sealing power. That did the trick for him at that time, but whats a way to remove it without distorting the casting of the housing. I ended up using laquar thinner to loosen the shellac first. Do this when engine is cooled off first! Then the housing pulled right off, no problems.

02-10-04, 05:27 PM   #4  
Many times the gasket is just stuck a little. Don't get caried away and break the housing but most of the time a little prying or gentle tap will break it loose.

When reinstalling make sure all of the old gasket is removed from both surfaces. I like to use sealer between the gasket and the housing and I wipe a thin coat of grease on the gasket side that goes toward the motor. Then the next time it will come right off and it is easy to remove the old gasket & sealer at the work bench instead of trying to scrape the surface on the motor which some times can be difficult to get to. I have even been able to re-use the gasket by leaving it on the housing and giving it another light coat of grease.

Visiting Guest

02-10-04, 11:17 PM   #5  
mike from nj
let's not all assume it's a plain gasket. my 87 buick has an o-ring thermostat 'gasket'. when it was time to replace it, it was a bear of a job to get out, and it ended up getting destroyed(the whole housing) as it is only cheap stamped steel. a new one was pretty inexpensive from the dealer.

Search this Thread