Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

1993 ford aerostar

Visiting Guest

02-02-04, 04:45 AM   #1  
stix309
1993 ford aerostar

my aerostars brake light and rear antilock light have started coming on but not all the time. Sometimes I can go for a week and it doesn't come on, sometimes it will come on right away. I'm not sure what it means and I really don't want a hefty repair bill for something intermittant or a bad connection. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

The vehicle is a 1993 Aerostar with antilock rear brakes only

Sponsored Links

02-02-04, 10:02 AM   #2  
First check the fluid level in the resevoir and that the hand brake is released.

They have a lot of trouble with the speed sensor on the top of the differential going bad but I don't recall it putting the regular brake light on also. Low brake fluid will though.

Visiting Guest

02-02-04, 05:00 PM   #3  
stix309
1993 aerostar brake and antilock lisght on

I checked the fluid level and to see if the float might be stuck but all checked out ok. while I was driving I shifted to neutral and turned of the ignition and the restarted and continued to drive neither light came on until I stopped and shifted to reverse. I was able to apply the brakes either hard or soft and I could not get the lights to come on. When I got in to drive again they came back on, all brakes seem to be working fine there is no apparent fliud leak, the reservoir is maintaining its level. I can hear a slight noise from the back if I sit with the door open and listen. I comes from the back on the drivers side, it sounds like air going in and coming out when I pump the brakes.
Any help please and thank you in advance

02-02-04, 05:16 PM   #4  
Re: 1993 aerostar brake and antilock lisght on

Originally posted by stix309
I can hear a slight noise from the back if I sit with the door open and listen. I comes from the back on the drivers side, it sounds like air going in and coming out when I pump the brakes.
That's a sign of a bad booster but that wouldn't put either light on. It may be that speed sensor.

Visiting Guest

02-02-04, 10:55 PM   #5  
mike from nj
any anti-lock light 'on' would have a stored code. you need to find someone who knows how to retrieve them, and then interpret them. or you could do some reading in a service manual or even hit the library and do some reading there. at the least, you will need to ohm the rear sensor before replacing it.

(ford put the brake booster in the back of the car??)

Search this Thread