97 Jimmy 4WD HI not engaging

Old 01-28-04, 05:47 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question 97 Jimmy 4WD HI not engaging

I have a 1997 GMC Jimmy V6 auto 4x4. It will not engage in 4 HI. When I push the 4 hi switch nothing happens. If I'm stopped put in neutral hit 4 hi lights on switch flash put in park and lights quit flashing and stays in 2 hi. But if I put in N press 4 lo lights flash and about half the time it locks into 4 lo.

Thanks for any help u can give me,
Dan

Old 01-29-04, 06:08 AM
K
i had a similar issue with the 4x4 on my 93 ford explorer. i took the electric motor that engages the transfere case off and cleaned the armature and it worked fine. i dont know if your chevy is set up the same. look to see if there is a small motor on the transfere case. you might get a chiltons book for your truck to use as a reference. i always buy one for every car i own.
you will get better answers from real techs here if you wait. im shade-tree at best. good luck.

Old 01-31-04, 04:37 PM
D
Thanks for your suggestion. I'll try that and see what happens.I hope that takes care of it. I'll post results when done.

Thanks again!

Old 02-01-04, 05:35 AM
D
Usually it's the shift motor(known as encoder motor)but sometimes they get lazy from lack of use so try this.Remove the courtesy lamp fuse for at least 60 seconds then replace it.Now turn the key to run and back to off 5 times without starting the vehicle this will erase any stored codes.If codes are stored it won't shift properly.Now try shifting it and see what happenes and let us know.If it still doesn't shift you may need to read the transfer case codes.

Old 02-02-04, 07:03 AM
D
davo you had my hopes up unfortunately, pulling courtesy fuse and turning ignition 5 times didn't work. Is there any way to determine if the shift motor is the problem? Thanks for the idea. Any more help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-02-04, 12:12 PM
D
Cool

THANKS EVERYONE!!! davo's suggestion gave me the idea to disconnect the battery[ I was just hoping]. So I disconnected the battery went and did some other stuff for a couple of hours, came back hooked the battery up. And it seems to be working great!I hope it last.

Old 02-02-04, 01:51 PM
D
Glad it's working now sometimes you just need to get them to move and they will keep working sometimes not.The key is to use it once in a while even when you don't need it.Good luck.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: