Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Water inside Oil Filler Cap .....

Visiting Guest

02-03-04, 03:07 PM   #1  
Mike71
Water inside Oil Filler Cap .....

I have a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500. I took it to get my oil changed today and the person noticed water on the inside lid of the oil filler cap. If you look down into the hole, it looks like a little rust too right at the top of the oil filler tube. Is this serious? And how can a 2002 truck with only 30,000 miles have this type of problem??? I am really not sure what to do now.

Sponsored Links

02-03-04, 03:19 PM   #2  
If you do short trips It will not burn off condensation that normally occurs.

Are you using any coolant?

Visiting Guest

02-03-04, 03:28 PM   #3  
Mike71
Yes, I am using coolant (which reminds me, I need to check the level). Most all of my trips are to and from work which is about a 30 minute drive (20 miles).

02-03-04, 03:33 PM   #4  
I think a trip back to the dealer is in order. And yes it could be serious if your using coolant

Mike would now better if there is a know issue with those and I'm sure he will be around soon.

Visiting Guest

02-03-04, 03:35 PM   #5  
Mike71
okay, thanks. I have a 70,000 waranty so hopefully it won't cost me anything.

WV

02-03-04, 03:43 PM   #6  
Just to clarify Larrys question..... Is your coolant level dropping and you having to add coolant? Sorry....but I had to read that twice myself, so I want the poster to be sure of the actual question.
Billy

Visiting Guest

02-03-04, 03:58 PM   #7  
Mike71
I just checked the coolant level and it was a little low. It doesn't seem to be loosing coolant.

Re-checked the oil cap and there was some water on it and the the inside of the cap is rusted.

WV

02-03-04, 07:15 PM   #8  
I think I would refer to Larrys first statement. Condensation may not be getting burned off due to the short trips. Take it out on the interstate and "blow" it out... Highway speeds!!!
Billy

02-03-04, 10:09 PM   #9  
Could also be due to a design issue. If it has a long oil filler tube condensation may collect under the cap.

Wait for Mike from NJ to reply.

Visiting Guest

02-04-04, 12:14 AM   #10  
mike from nj
well, which engine are we talking about. 02 was a transition year, you could have a 3.7, 4.7, 5.2, 5.9, 8.0, or a diesel.

i'm assuming it's the 3.7L/4.7L, they are the only ones with this issue.

a little condensation in the oil fill cap area is normal. like larry said, the cap is in a plastic housing, and is a few inches away from the hot engine. when the moisture gets to this relatively cool area, it simply condenses.

short trips, where the engine doesn't reach operating temperature(the little old lady theory) makes this even worse. i would think your 20 mile drive would have this reach it's designed temp.

keep an eye on the coolant, these engines have been completely problem free so far( provided you change your oil often), and don't add green coolant to this either

if it is a 5.2/5.9L you might have a leaky thermostat gasket, but that wouldn't put moisture in the oil fill cap from that.

why would you say you don't know what to do?? you're completely under warranty, basic and powertrain is still in effect, plus with the extended warranty, you get a free rental car. any problems, bring it back to any dealer, that's our job.

Visiting Guest

02-04-04, 04:25 AM   #11  
Mike71
Thanks for the info.

It is a 4.7L and it does have a long filler tube. I know a great mechanic (someone I work with) and we went out and looked at it this morning and he said it was normal condensation and is normal. As long as my oil isn't milky ( which it wasn't) he said not to worry.

Search this Thread