Early 90's Ford Taurus Wagon tranny problems

Old 02-03-04, 04:58 PM
Early 90's Ford Taurus Wagon tranny problems

For the experts in field pls,

What would you consider to be a fair price for swapping the tranny between 2 of these cars.

Here's what I've got, a 91 & 92 Taurus wagon, the 91 was in a deer collision, it's full elec, motor will still run, front end is major screwed, when I start it up after just a few seconds there's that scary smell of elec wires burning up & you get wisps of smoke out of the heater/defrost vents.

92 had the tranny seize up worse than anything I've ever encountered, in neutral it won't roll an inch, body is in perfect shape, interior is a bit rough, I've been using this car as my work vehicle doing drywall finishing for a couple of yrs, so the inside ain't pretty. It's also full elec, only difference between the 2 cars is color & the 91 has a better stereo.

My question is this, I've had a bid on doing the body work on the 91 using parts from the 92, around $1k, no paint there, just make it solid & driveable again, also had a similiar bid on just pulling the tranny out of the 91 & putting it in the 92, my feeling is, honestly I afraid if I do fix up the deer damaged car I'm gonna have elec problems from hell. On the other hand, I've had a couple other similiar cars & trannys seem to be their major downfall, is it worth it to spend $1K on putting a used tranny in this car?

Thought & advise would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-04, 06:07 PM
tstokka
Visiting Guest
1000 bucks for just the labor of pulling 2 transmissions and installing 1......seems pretty steep. as for fixing the deer magnet I would advise against it, your on the right track with the wiring problems as well as a number of problems that you probably can't see or smell ie. suspension related. In north Iowa I would suspect the trans swap would be about 1/2 of your quote.

Old 02-05-04, 10:11 AM
Group Moderator
Keep in mind that Taurus/Sable trannies of that vintage are total crap from the git-go (and I'm talking right off the showroom floor) with a very high rate of premature failures. You could spend the $$$ for the tranny swap only to have the "good" tranny go belly up as well.

If you're dealing with a 3.8L motor, you should be aware that IT has a high failure rate as well, mostly for head gaskets.