Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

99 Neon oil in radiator follow-up

Visiting Guest

02-04-04, 05:34 AM   #1  
Vendetta
99 Neon oil in radiator follow-up

Some of you might remember me from a month ago, I had the 99 Dodge Neon with the oil in the radiator, which, thanks to the advice of mike from nj, it was determined to be a head gasket problem. So, I did what anybody else without money would do and decided to do it myself. I obtained a service manual from a local dealer and got to work on it right away. It took me a couple weeks of working on it little by little, but I finally was able to remove the head and replace the head gasket. I was a tad baffled, though as upon removal of the head I noticed that it looked pretty clean inside, not as I expected considering the gunk in my radiator, and the gasket itself didn't look damaged. But I don't know much about blown head gaskets, so I changed it anyway and put everything back together.

When I got it buttoned back up I took it to a radiator shop to have the radiator, heater, and head flushed. Now after a few days of driving the car, I checked the radiator and everything. Clean as a whistle. I guess I did the job right. So there's my follow-up for anybody who cares. I would like to thank all those who gave me advice, especially mike from nj. I saved several hundred dollars doing this myself.

One more question though, is it unusual for a "blown head gasket" not to appear damaged and for the head to look fairly clean (not full of gunk and crap like the radiator)? Anyways, thanks again all.

Sponsored Links

02-04-04, 03:45 PM   #2  
Re: 99 Neon oil in radiator follow-up

Originally posted by Vendetta
One more question though, is it unusual for a "blown head gasket" not to appear damaged and for the head to look fairly clean (not full of gunk and crap like the radiator)? Anyways, thanks again all.
You have to know where and what to look for. It;s not real obvious. It will just be a small stain leading from an oil galley to a coolant port.
I know it seems to be working out for you but you really should have sent that head out to a machine shop to be checked before reinstalling it. They likely would have done a valve job and planed the head surface.

Visiting Guest

02-04-04, 04:40 PM   #3  
Vendetta
Originally Posted by desi501 I know it seems to be working out for you but you really should have sent that head out to a machine shop to be checked before reinstalling it. They likely would have done a valve job and planed the head surface.
Oops, heh heh, forgot to mention that. I did take it to a machine shop, which is one of the reasons why it took so long for me to get the job done. Thanks for the reminder though.

Visiting Guest

02-04-04, 11:37 PM   #4  
mike from nj
if you look at the old gasket, and remember how it was oriented on the block, you will see a little hole in the back corner(driver's side) that is the oil pressure up to the cam. it goes up the head bolt hole. there probably was an intact orange o-ring there at one time, but that part's failure is what caused your problems. did you use a chrysler gasket, the multi-layer steel one? i haven't taken even one of them OUT yet.

even though chrysler 'officially' doesn't recommend resurfacing the head, i can't see it causing too many problems, the less you take off---the better. i've done probably a hundred gaskets by now, none ever get resurfaced or even get time to cool off for that matter.

for a point of reference----we get 3.5-4.0 hours to do the whole job under warranty.

before the thread got 'locked', i was going to tell you simple dish detergent (dawn) and a garden hose is good enough to flush out the block, rad and heater. (and to replace the water pump and timing belt while you're there) and you must change the oil when you're done, before starting the engine.

very, very glad to hear it turned out well!

Search this Thread