1986 chevy nova

Old 02-04-04, 07:10 AM
chelsbx
Visiting Guest
Exclamation 1986 chevy nova

please help !!!!!!!!

i have a 86 chevy nova , and its making noise like i am getting ready to throw a rod , but when i took head cover off all of the lifters and shaft looks great like brand new....i dont want to spend 1000.00 $ on it if its going to need new motor...i only paid 250.00 for the car and have had it 7 months or so ...and its at 180,000 miles i take good car as far as maintnace...can someone tell me more info on how to tell if its rod ..... tnx, chel

Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-04, 10:14 AM
Pull individual plug wires off while it's making noise.

If the noise lessens when a wire is off that's the cly that has a problem. It would be a rod or piston.

Old 02-04-04, 02:57 PM
86 Nova

I had one of those 86 Novas it was a great car Toyota with a chevy badge.How is the oil is it full?Do like toyota man says.I find it hard to belive that a rod is going unless the car has been neglected by not changing oil,try to pinpoint were it is coming from does it make noise under no load or at idle?when was the timing belt replaced it might be off a little due to streach.Mine broke No fun to replace but at least engine wont bend valves if it does.

Old 02-04-04, 10:32 PM
chelsbx
Visiting Guest
Unhappy ok ,,,,

ok i tried to do as toyotaman stated but it wont stay running now due to dead battery.....you made statement about under load or not can you explain better to me do you mean if im full of people or something....it has an oil leak but i check it once a week,,,but it was empty....noise is coming from lower part of engine i think....now with the timing belt i dont know like i stated i have only had it 7 months or so.....how do i know when i took the head off i had to undo bolts connected to thing that i would say was timing belt ...but im not machanic...lol...big thing with gold flat gaps?????

Old 02-05-04, 02:55 AM
Well you have to charge the battery for starters.

The oil being empty and the noise coming from the bottom of the engine is looking like a wasted engine. Most likely a rod bearing or piston.

Old 02-05-04, 03:21 AM
NO OIL

You say no oil that is not good also noise from bottom also not good sounds like a toasted engine.Under load means like when you take off this makes the engine work it does not matter if you have any friends in the car.
Even a Toyota needs oil to keep it running.

Old 02-08-04, 02:43 PM
chelsbx
Visiting Guest
Question connecting rod berrings

ok guys the guy at the parts place also agrees, nova is just a toyota...and gave me advice which i have half way done but cant get the wheather to coperate with my days to repair...

he suggest that the connecting rod berrings ( which one im not sure yet) has probablly worn and is the noise i am hearing so i dropped oil pan and am looking at the connecting rods..the bottom U shaped part held on with 2 nuts is there but how do i know which one is probably worn , or do i have to take each apart....the noise i hear is from the left ( from underneth anyways , driver side ) should i start that side and work my way over or do i have to replace all of them..?

Old 02-08-04, 02:57 PM
If it ran out of oil it's usually #4 that gets wasted (the one next to dist). Clue maybe the one thats a different color.

Changing the bearing without repairing the scored crank and checking the con rod big end is a waste of time.

Will in a very few miles make the same noise (may make noise as soon as you start it)

Old 02-08-04, 02:59 PM
patch job?

I dont know if you can do the rod bearings in the car maybe you can you will have to do all of them you will also need a torque wrench and some plasi guage and the right bearings.A good dial caliper will also help to mic the crank shaft.Maybe someone who has rebuilt an engine more recently then me can give some more advice.That is getting up there in miles but you can fix the bearings and you might get another 75 thousand before it needs rings etc.
Fix that oil leak also.

Search this Thread