'98 Ford Explorer/door won't open

Old 02-04-04, 05:57 PM
alexak
Visiting Guest
Angry '98 Ford Explorer/door won't open

My driver side door will not open. I can hear the mechanism miss whatever it is supposed to catch. I'd like to repair this on my own but not sure about doing that with all the electrical that may be inbetween the panel and door frame. I really don't want to get creamed by the car repair shop. How long should this take and how is it done?
THanks a bunch.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-04, 04:57 PM
frank997
Visiting Guest
Re: '98 Ford Explorer/door won't open

Originally posted by alexak
My driver side door will not open. I can hear the mechanism miss whatever it is supposed to catch. I'd like to repair this on my own but not sure about doing that with all the electrical that may be inbetween the panel and door frame. I really don't want to get creamed by the car repair shop. How long should this take and how is it done?
THanks a bunch.
if it will not open from inside or outside door handles you will need to take it to, I say a body shop. Body men have more experience at this and they are cheaper than a dealer. do not take it to some repair shop because they will probably break more items for you. If you think you can do this your self, first take off the inside door trim panel. the rod that goes to the inside door handle, see if that will pull to release the latch. If that does not work and the outside door handle doesn't work, you have a broken door latch. Providing the rods to both handles are attached to the latch. It is very very hard to open a door with a broken latch.I would take it in somewhere. They will not get you a firm estimate fore the time it takes to open it is unknown. A new lach for your vehicle is probably around 95 to 145 dollars, I quess. Labor could be around 65 to 180 dollars. Frank

Old 02-10-04, 05:16 PM
frank997
Visiting Guest
Re: '98 Ford Explorer/door won't open

Originally posted by alexak
THanks a bunch.
Hey there! I forgot to mention make sure the inside locking rod is in the unlock position before you try to open the door. Also take a mirror befor you begin, look inside the door and see if all rods are attached to the latch assembly