Ford Taurus trans problem.

Old 02-05-04, 02:22 PM
hleggette
Visiting Guest
Ford Taurus trans problem.

1996 Taurus. Auto trans. Developed a "bump" when shifting from 2nd to 3rd. Soon, it wouldn't shift from 1st into 2nd.

Took to trans shop. Mechanic said it "sounds like 2nd gear is burned out". Wants $1500 for rebuild.

I am a reasonably competent shadetree mechanic, but have never been inside a transmission. Is this something I should be able to handle? Does it require a total rebuild? Could it be something more simple. Any ideas and advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-04, 04:58 AM
Group Moderator
As I recall, that's probably not a bad price. Auto tranny work is pretty much not D-I-Y unless it's something like a bad solenoid or switch that can be replaced. Might want to get a second opinion, but he's probably right.

The tranny in the Taurus/Sable is probably one of the worst pieces of engineering ever to come out of FoMoCo (with the 3.8L motor probably running a close second). Might want to consider if the car is worth a $1500 repair in the long run.

P.S. Don't even consider putting in a used unit from the junkyard.

Old 02-06-04, 03:50 PM
Auto trans can be difficult to repair parts are not cheap for them and you risk paying someone to rebuild it if you fail so you will be out more money.You also need special tools as a rule of thumb.Nice to see the towguy here today though.I'm sure he has hooked a few of these.

Old 02-07-04, 06:09 AM
Group Moderator
I wouldn't be surprised if we've towed a hundred Taurus/Sable bad tranny cars in the last 5 years.

Tow Guy's been a little busy on the homefront - new baby in the house, Tow Guy Jr.

Old 02-07-04, 04:57 PM
Congrats Mr Tow Guy hope the new one is doing well

Old 02-07-04, 11:28 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
glad to hear it, mr. TG

my first is due in 6 months, that's why you all will be seeing me in dribs and drabs more. what little free time i had, is now cut in half.

Old 02-08-04, 08:25 AM
newdorplane5150
Visiting Guest
Originally posted by the_tow_guy
As I recall, that's probably not a bad price.
I have a Taurus, and recently paid $1700 to have my tranny rebuilt; the least expensive price of the three rebuilders I shopped.

$1500 is indeed a fair price...

Thing is, like the tow guy said, make sure that the car is worth dumping $1500 into.

Old 02-08-04, 08:27 AM
newdorplane5150
Visiting Guest
Originally posted by the_tow_guy
Tow Guy's been a little busy on the homefront - new baby in the house, Tow Guy Jr.
Originally posted by mike from nj
my first is due in 6 months, that's why you all will be seeing me in dribs and drabs more. what little free time i had, is now cut in half.
Congrats to you both