MOth Balls In Gas Tank

Old 02-06-04, 07:18 AM
MOth Balls In Gas Tank

I was listening to some old timer "hot rodders" talking and they were talking about putting a few mothballs in their gas tanks to up the octane. Has anyone heard of this, does it work, and is their any hazards with doing this?

Thanks,

John

Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-04, 01:18 PM
I suggest not doing it gasoline has so many additives hard to say what may or may not occur.If you feel you need an octane booster buy some and follow the directions.

Old 02-06-04, 04:05 PM
There seems to be a lot of misconceptions about what octane booster can do for you. It certainly WILL NOT give you more horsepower. It is merely an "anti-knock" compound and can be bought at any auto parts store. If your car is not pinging, there is absolutely no benefit to raising octane and definately don't use moth balls.

Old 02-06-04, 05:21 PM
primo8998
Visiting Guest
The only time you might need to switch to a higher octane level is if your car engine knocks when you use the recommended fuel. This happens to a small percentage of cars. If it was designed for regular gas, but knocks, often that means you need a tune up.

Old 02-06-04, 05:22 PM
primo8998
Visiting Guest
Moth Balls

Check this out!!!!

http://www.georgenitta.com/mothballs/mothballs.htm

Kinda funny to me.

Old 02-06-04, 06:05 PM
Re: Moth Balls

Originally posted by primo8998
Check this out!!!!

http://www.georgenitta.com/mothballs/mothballs.htm

Kinda funny to me.
That guy's an idiot if he thinks that increases power.

Old 02-07-04, 03:36 AM
I would be worried that it would hurt the o2 sensor and/or destroy the catalytic converter of a modern car. Maybe the hot rodders were talking about race cars that don't have these devices. I'm sure no hotrodder would ever alter the emission control system . Increasing octane can allow you to increase the power output of your engine by allowing you to increase the timing advance and/or run a leaner air-fuel ratio.

Old 02-07-04, 03:52 AM
Originally posted by raharold
Increasing octane can allow you to increase the power output of your engine by allowing you to increase the timing advance and/or run a leaner air-fuel ratio.
Maybe, as you said, in the "old hot rods" but not in a computer controlled car as everything is now.

Old 02-07-04, 04:30 AM
There are remapped ECU's and piggy back computers that allow ateration of timing and fuel on computer controlled cars. I know I have one . Definitely not for the average consumer worried about their warranty!

Old 02-07-04, 09:46 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
it really depends on the car and engine. there are tricky ways to adjust ignition timing, fuel pressure, and injector pulsewidth, even on a computer controlled car.

i do know for a fact that a gallon of xylol (on the home depot shelf) which is nothing more than zylene, will add a good amount of octane to the gas, but must be used in moderation, and with a full tank. there is already zylene in normal gas, you would be just adding a little bit more. this, along with a little more timing(or boost) will make a car more fun to drive.

i wouldn't trust mothballs, who knows who is making them, and even if the make-up is consistent.

Old 02-08-04, 05:28 AM
I can tell you this if you are in front of me getting gas say 20 gallons and I have to wait while you drop in 100 mothballs in one at a time somebody is going to get hurt.And it won't be me lol.

Old 02-08-04, 08:45 PM
Okay guys. I wouldn't trash my new vehicles with this tactic. I just heard something that was unusual to me and I had been known to street race in the late 70's, so I was wondering after all these years....did some one know a trick that I didn't, which I'm sure quite a few did.

That's one little moth ball....two little moths balls....please don't hit me I'm counting my balls.

Thanks for the input. I depend on you folks to keep me straight.

John

Old 02-09-04, 02:47 AM
Moth Balls

Stop. Don't. Quit. I usually encounter mothballs as a home remedy in pest control. IMO they should be taken off the market due to EPA reports of contraindications.

Old 02-09-04, 09:06 PM
Wouldn't you need to catch an awful lot of moths???