Keyless Entry -SomeonePleaseHelp :)

Old 02-06-04, 08:36 AM
mm1997
Visiting Guest
Smile Keyless Entry -SomeonePleaseHelp :)

Ive been looking for MONTHS how to program a remote keyless entry for a 1997 camry LE. I can not find that year anywhere. Ive found the toyota TSB # with the directions (TSB-EL008-98) but again I cannot find this TSB posted anywhere. I have the factory installed entry, not the rs3000/vip. I believe the 97-98-99 all use the same procedure. Can someone please help??

Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-04, 08:59 AM
Pop out the mirror control switch. Find the purple wire and the white w/black stripe. Jump out those two wires, the locks will lock and unlock.

Then press one of the buttons on the remote you want to program.

Old 02-06-04, 09:07 AM
mm1997
Visiting Guest
how do you jump wires? How do you pop the swith out? Then do you just press the lock on the remote and all three (lock unlock panic) work. Then remove the jumper?

I dont want to be a pain.

Old 02-06-04, 04:49 PM
You can back probe the wires with the switch either connected or disconnected.

You could unplug the switch and jump them from the front of the plug.

Have the doors closed.

After the jumper is connected the locks will lock and unlock. Then you press either the lock or unlock button. The locks will lock and unlock to confirm the remote was accepted.

All buttons will be programed.

Old 02-10-04, 05:44 AM
mm1997
Visiting Guest
I give up

The only color close to purple I have in the back of the mirror control is a kind of pinkish. When I use a paper clip in the front or back with the white and black wire nothing happens. I tried the white and black with all the wires and nothing happens. Im so tired of this, I am going to give up. Thanks for your help and quick relpys.

Old 02-10-04, 07:03 AM
With the mirror plug off, looking at the terminals that would contact the sw, with the lock at the top.

The program wire (Violet) is on the top row 2 nd from the left. The white w/black will be bottom row last on the right. Make sure the doors are closed and you don't have the key in the ign.

Old 02-10-04, 07:21 AM
mm1997
Visiting Guest
I dont have any wire in the top row 2nd from the left(the slot in the harness is empty). I have a brown in the top left and thats all for the top row. I have the white and black in the bottom right. I was thinking of posting a picture of my harness?

Old 02-10-04, 03:25 PM
This car was it purchased from down south?

Can you describe the shape of your working remote? On the back of the working remote who makes it?

If that #2 slot is empty you donot have a factory system.

Old 02-11-04, 04:55 AM
mm1997
Visiting Guest
I am the second owner, the first owner bought it in the chicago area, the same area Im in. It did not come with any remotes when I bought it. The owners manual says it has one. Its a 97 LE with sunroof and CD player, I cant imagine it did'nt have a remote entry. I bought the remote off ebay with the same fcc id number the manual says it should be. According to TSB EL010-01 is says that year has either RS3000 of factory installed. The remote has two (lock and unlock on top) and under is a panic button. The picture in the owners manual is the same as I described.

Old 02-11-04, 05:02 AM
There is a reason why it didn't come with remotes.

It dosen't have keyless entry, if it did it would have the violet program wire your missing. That wire is present only with keyless entry. Keyless was not standard for an LE, it's optional.

Old 02-11-04, 05:13 AM
mm1997
Visiting Guest
Im starting to think the same thing. I really want to thank you for all your help.

Thanks again.

Old 02-11-04, 05:36 AM
No problem

If you want to e-mail me your vin I can try to run it through the Toyota system to look at the original invoice to see if it was equipped. Without that program wire I'm 99.9% sure it wasn't though

Old 02-11-04, 05:43 AM
mm1997
Visiting Guest
That would be great "4T1BG22K9VU800676" 1997 CAMRY LE

Old 02-11-04, 06:19 AM
I did run it and it was not listed as having keyless entry as standard equip or as an option.

Old 02-24-04, 06:54 PM
Thumbs up ---

I admire the way you didn't give up on the problem, You helped solve the problem!! Even after it seemed futile!! I guess thats what these boards are about, when you're at your wits end; " two heads are better than one ", but with this forum- MILLIONS of heads can beat the h**L out of any problem!!! GREAT JOB!!!!