1993 Plymouth Acclaim

Old 02-06-04, 06:22 PM
sp76239
Visiting Guest
1993 Plymouth Acclaim

Can any one tell me how to change the water pump on a 1993 Plymouth Acclaim , it has not gone out yet, but it has started to leak an I was told that the next thing it would do was go out. Please if you can help me , you will save me a lot of money

Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-04, 06:32 PM
Which engine?

Old 02-07-04, 03:56 AM
It's a little more complicated than it used to be due to the fact that you'll have to remove the timing belt to do this. It will be much harder if you have a V6.

Old 02-07-04, 07:16 AM
Shelia, once a water pump starts leaking, complete failure due to massive leaking comes shortly afterward. Don't delay. Have this fixed now while you can still drive it to a shop. If it fails on the road, you run the real risk of overheating the engine, which REALLY gets expensive to fix.

Old 02-07-04, 08:12 AM
Been there Done that!

i just sold my 93 acclaim last year!(135k miles)
i tried to change my water pump once, and saw just how much work it takes, and decided, to pay the piper!

first of all, i dont like messing with the timing belt

second of all, i found out the problem was the thermostat a few times of which i changed several times over the years.

and finally, i just decided to let my mechanic do it and while i cant remember exactly how much it cost, it couldnt have been more than 300 maybe less.

i know that the pump cost about 70 bucks! (to them of course)

follow my steps and give someone else your problems if you are experiencing other problems as well.

no worse feeling in the world other than being stranded!

been there, dont that too! too many times to mention, hehe

good luck...
mike in new york

Old 02-07-04, 09:52 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
like stated, a v6 engine has the pump behind the timing belt.

a 4 cylinder has it behind the alternator, and no touching of the timing belt is necessary. you don't even need a lift, it can all be done from under the hood, and with common sockets and a ratchet. reserve a good day for this though.

let us know which engine you have and if you intend to do this yourself.

Old 02-08-04, 04:27 AM
Originally posted by mike from nj
a 4 cylinder has it behind the alternator, and no touching of the timing belt is necessary. you don't even need a lift, it can all be done from under the hood, and with common sockets and a ratchet. reserve a good day for this though.
I believe there are still a couple of pretty difficult bolts that extend into the belt area, isn't there?