tranny replacement help...ahhhh

Old 02-06-04, 09:42 PM
iggyshome
Visiting Guest
Unhappy tranny replacement help...ahhhh

'87 Mazda 626, automatic, 4door sedan
The transmission has push button overdrive.

I began with pulling my transmission to replace the seal behind the torque converter.....and have now pulled out and replaced the transmission 2x because I have done something wrong. The car can go back and forwards but their is a loud knocking between the flywheel and the torque converter. I have checked the flywheel and it doesn't appear damaged and I believe the torque converter is all the way in.
How do I make sure I have the torque converter all the way in?

I also failed to "matchmark the drive plate and torque converter for reallignment" as my manual called for......

any help would be much appreciated.....simon

Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-04, 04:06 AM
The marking of the flywheel is for bolt alignment purposes only. If you got all the bolts in, your OK there. Now as far as getting the converter all the way in. Did you at any time use the bellhousing bolts to draw the transmission and the engine together. Very important. If you did, you may have broken the front pump.
Another possibility is you used the wrong bolts on the torque converter and they are hitting the block.

Old 02-07-04, 02:11 PM
iggyshome
Visiting Guest
How can I determine if I broke the pump or not?

Old 02-07-04, 10:33 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
if it's making a noise, it's bad

if the car soon stops moving altogether, in any gear, you definitely hurt the pump.

remove the inspection cover/dust shields (to get to the torque converter bolts) and start the car. on some cars they can easily get bent and make a loud noise. if it's the upper shield that's hitting, you will have to take the trans out 1 more time.

next, think back. did you first bolt up the trans to the engine, then were you able to spin the torque converter to line up the bolt holes. if the T/C spun freely with the trans case bolted up tight, then the t/c was in correctly. if you had to do a good amount of prying to get the t/c bolts to line up, you have trouble.

loud clunking is usually from LOOSE torque converter bolts, make sure they are gudentite (good and tight). put a large prybar between the flywheel teeth and the trans case, and make the bolts extra tight.

let us know what you find.

Old 02-12-04, 08:02 PM
iggyshome
Visiting Guest
Hurray!

Thanks so much for your input!!!!! Apparently on my torque converter there are washers or shims that can come out. The bolts are welded to the TC but the shims aren't.....and 2 of them were missing.....they are now back in and we are rolling!!!!!!
Appreciate having someone I can run things by......Simon in Calif.