Bypassing blower switch....little help

Old 02-07-04, 05:54 AM
Salmonslammer I
Visiting Guest
Bypassing blower switch....little help

My 85 ram van that I use for dragging the snowmobiles around with is having issues...I replaced the blower motor...No dice.. Checked fuses and they are OK....Figure that the switch is bad.

Can I just run a toggle switch to the motor??..I am going to wire it hot to make sure the new blower mtr is good.. Figure I can just have a simple on/off for it, Anything that looks simpler than ripping that heater control cluster out.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-04, 04:44 PM
Many cars are wired differently but the large majority use grounds to control motor speeds. You would need fuses and such to wire direct and you wouldn't have a speed control. It's probably much easier to just fix the problem. The most common failure is the blower resistor located in the box near the blower motor. It can be checked with diode type testlight likely looking for ground changes at different speeds.

Old 02-07-04, 05:03 PM
As Desi said find out why it failed first hot wiring the blower is not the best plan.

Old 02-07-04, 11:40 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
first thing is to take out the blower switch, and see if it has a hole melted through it, or the wires directly behind it melted together. that's an easy fix.

even more common, is to take out the glove box bottom(should be no screws if i remember correctly) and take out the blower motor resistor, it might look OK, but an ohmeter will tell the truth about it.

power should go right to the blower motor, did you check the connector for juice?

let us know what you find

Old 02-11-04, 04:45 AM
Salmonslammer I
Visiting Guest
I went and bought the switch yesterday.... I deceided that I should just do it right...switch was only $16.. gonna work on it this morning..let ya know how it turns out..

Old 02-11-04, 07:20 AM
Why would you assume it's a switch? Many other possibilities.

Old 02-11-04, 07:24 AM
Salmonslammer I
Visiting Guest
OK....I'm all ears!!

New switch and mtr and still not working...Checked for blown fuse...no luck..Where next??

I am looking for my meter right now to check that resister.....

Old 02-11-04, 07:26 AM
Salmonslammer I
Visiting Guest
BTW mike.....The switch looked fine, no signs of melting or any discoloration.

Old 02-11-04, 08:00 AM
Salmonslammer I
Visiting Guest
Well I have cont. between the switch and the harness at the resister...but no V at the motor...Guess I 'll be looking for one of those today..

Old 02-14-04, 11:45 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
Originally posted by Salmonslammer I
but no V at the motor...Guess I 'll be looking for one of those today..
if you mean no voltage at the motor, that's your problem.

i think there's a fusible link near/behind the brake booster that is the feed for this. if it's melted, it time for a link (and a motor). it should ONLY be replaced with the exact same color and size fusible link wire, or you likely will have a fire.