Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

gas line anti-freeze

Visiting Guest

02-07-04, 06:07 AM   #1  
the butchers wife
gas line anti-freeze

I was told that you should not add gas line anti-freeze to a fuel injector vechile. I was told to just use fuel injector cleaner instead. Is this true? thanks

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

OH

02-07-04, 06:52 AM   #2  
If you maintain your car properly, and try to keep your gas tank at least half full, you probably don't need either one.
Most major brands of gas have additives added and adjusted for the seasons. They help keep the injectors clean and reduce fuel line freeze up.

Of course the after market parts stores will be happy to sell you all kinds of additives.

Your question will probably spark all kinds of reponses, this is mine.

MI

02-07-04, 07:20 AM   #3  
Ditto. Good post by goldstar.

02-07-04, 04:38 PM   #4  
You are correct about the gas line anti-freeze. Most of them contain alcohol which will damage any rubber parts in you fuel system. Stay away from alcohol. About the only way your going to get water in your fuel these days is to buy it at the gas station with your fuel. If they get water in their tank, you'll get in yours but that becomes the responsibility of the gas station and they should take care of everything on your car if that happens.

02-07-04, 05:13 PM   #5  
If you are subject to fuel line freeze up as I just went through I would suggest adding drygas and adding fuel to your tank.I've driven for almost 30 years and this is my first for fuel line freeze up.Both of my cars got hit.was it the gas station or bad luck I don't know but 2 bottles of drygas and a full tank cured my problem.It's been very cold here and I don't normally recommend any additives.

Visiting Guest

02-08-04, 06:53 AM   #6  
the butchers wife
Thanks for your help.

Search this Thread