'97 Windstar cool air from heater(s)

Old 01-24-04, 07:15 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question '97 Windstar cool air from heater -FIXED

This is on an '97 Windstar 3.8L, AT, 140k miles. Friend was having
fluctuating temps both on the engine and the heater. A shop
diagnosed a bad intake manifold gasket, so I helped to replace that last Sun. It was definitely leaking in 2 places. Also replaced the thermostat at the same time. Now the engine temp stays steady, but the heater air is cool from both heaters (BTW-it has rear heat). I felt the hoses leading to each heater core and had 1 hot, 1 cool on each. This would make me suspect heater core - but both at once???
Any possibility there's a huge air bubble?, Or, that one being
blocked effects the other? Or a bad heater control valve for the rear one? This weekend I'm going to disconnect the hoses at the firewall and try to flush through the core with a garden hose... hope that works.

Any help or comments appreciated,

Steve H.

Last edited by srponies; 02-07-04 at 04:37 AM.
Old 01-24-04, 08:12 AM
Check the blend door motor it's behind the radio on the heater case.

Old 01-24-04, 09:24 AM
S
Thanks... that's more in line of what I found today. I drove the van and found a good amount of heat from the front and rear heaters. But, the front heat was only coming from the top of the dash (defrost) on all front location settings. I wasn't sure what controlled the flaps/ doors, was thinking a disconnected vac. line.

Any more comments welcome.. will try to check the blend door motor.

Thanks again,
Steve

Old 01-24-04, 01:21 PM
Look under the hood very closely for a vacuum line off or broken. There should be a small hard plastic hose coming from the firewall. Follow it to it's source and make sure it has vacuum supply. Most of them utilize a storage ball also. Most of those systems default to defrost in the absense of vacuum supply. The problem could be under the dash also if everything is OK under the hood. Pulling the glove box usually gives you access to the hoses inside. The supply is usually black.

Old 02-07-04, 04:32 AM
S
Problem Fixed!! Thanks to all replies!!

After some searching under the dash and under the hood, I found a section of red plastic hose (underhood near the firewall) that had melted through. I repaired this area atvnd all works as new.

Thanks again!!

Steve H.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: