Info on how to change brake pads?

Reply

  #1  
Old 02-07-04, 01:46 PM
BaldHead
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Info on how to change brake pads?

Hello. I heve been looking all over the internet for the answer to my question, but I can't find *jack*. Sorry to bother you all with this, but I've exhausted all other sources.

I have an '88 toyota corolla sr5, and I need to change the brake pads. I haven't the money for a mechanic or a tow truck, so I am going to have to do it myself.

Would anyone know of a site that has *that* information on it? I would buy a manual, but finances preclude it. There is a link on these boards to a free auto library, but that library is changing URLs, and is unavailable at this time. Any help at all would be very welcome, and very much appreciated.

This appears to be a wonderful source of information, and it is very nice to see so many folks helping each other. Thanks for reading my post.
 
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 02-07-04, 04:26 PM
Desi501's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Boynton Beach Florida
Posts: 2,207
Every vehicle is very different so it's tough to give you a step by step. Your going to need a service manual for that. Have you at least had a shop look at it to tell you what it needs. Brakes are not the greatest place to start DIY on you car with no idea what your doing. If you've already driven to the point that it is grinding, then you'll need much more that just brake pads. You really should leave this to a professional if you have no experience at this.
 
  #3  
Old 02-07-04, 11:11 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
unless you live south of the middle of nowhere, your library should have some good information, and should be right in your price range.

if you want to really see no money in your pocket, have an accident from faulty brakes, whether you did them or not. if there's an injury involved, then you'll really be out of "finances"

sorry to rant, but bad brakes are a serious matter, and should be repaired correctly. if not for your well being, then for the family of 4 in front of your car when they fail.
 
  #4  
Old 02-08-04, 10:00 AM
BaldHead
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
RE: Info on how to change brake pads

Thank you for your replies.

We have a library here, but all manuals are always checked out. Have combed it and consulted with librarian also. No relevant info available, and having a book held for you applies only to new books. No new manuals yet this year, and they don't expect any for a few months.

I have no children, and always refuse to drive any children in the car as one of the tie rods is too loose. (Steering on my car is worse than the steering on a chapparel car at six flags. LOL! ) I know that it is foolish to drive it in it's present condidion, but it is below freezing much of the time, and my work is more than 6 miles from my house. Two miles to the nearest bus stop, and I have already been sick from the cold this year; I have no choice but to drive the car.

Out of desperation, I jacked the car up yesterday and took the wheels off. Looking at the brakes, I have lost altogether one pad and one shoe on the passenger side. There was but one little clamp sitting there looking at me. (Now I know why it has been grinding so badly, heh.) From what I can tell, if I remove the two nuts/bolts holding a certain part over the disc, I can replace the pad and shoe. Hopefully, all will work out well.

Thanks again, guys. Happy motoring!
 
  #5  
Old 02-08-04, 02:51 PM
Desi501's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Boynton Beach Florida
Posts: 2,207
Re: RE: Info on how to change brake pads

Originally posted by BaldHead
I have no children, and always refuse to drive any children in the car as one of the tie rods is too loose. (Steering on my car is worse than the steering on a chapparel car at six flags. LOL! ) I know that it is foolish to drive it in it's present condidion, but it is below freezing much of the time, and my work is more than 6 miles from my house. Two miles to the nearest bus stop, and I have already been sick from the cold this year; I have no choice but to drive the car.

Out of desperation, I jacked the car up yesterday and took the wheels off. Looking at the brakes, I have lost altogether one pad and one shoe on the passenger side. There was but one little clamp sitting there looking at me. (Now I know why it has been grinding so badly, heh.) From what I can tell, if I remove the two nuts/bolts holding a certain part over the disc, I can replace the pad and shoe. Hopefully, all will work out well.

You be sure to let us know when your going to drive that car again so we can get all of our families off the road before you kill them. Your what makes our insurance rates so high and the roads so dangerous. The only advice you'll get from me is PARK THAT CAR.
 
  #6  
Old 02-08-04, 03:30 PM
Member
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Indiana
Posts: 312
Re: Re: RE: Info on how to change brake pads

Originally posted by Desi501



You be sure to let us know when your going to drive that car again so we can get all of our families off the road before you kill them. Your what makes our insurance rates so high and the roads so dangerous. The only advice you'll get from me is PARK THAT CAR.

Yeah, what Desi said. Park it, and do your neighbors and their children a favor. The fact that your pads are completely missing means you're way beyond a simple pad slap. If you can't afford to fix it right, get it off the road.
 
  #7  
Old 02-08-04, 05:07 PM
Member
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: pa
Posts: 21
Be a man, park it and get a bike to ride.
 
  #8  
Old 02-09-04, 03:59 PM
Desi501's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Boynton Beach Florida
Posts: 2,207
Originally posted by pwvognet
Be a man, park it and get a bike to ride.
I think your dealing with a female here. Here's her signature

Aol Instant Messenger Handle: verybentlady
 
Reply


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:19 PM.