Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Heater core hose

Visiting Guest

02-08-04, 08:35 AM   #1  
darr
Heater core hose

I have a 1987 chevy cavalier that i replaced the heater core,attached the two hoses thru firewall.But there's a hose inside the heatercore housing that is seperate from the other two.Where does this connect to?
Darr

Sponsored Links

02-08-04, 02:54 PM   #2  
There are no hoses inside of the housing. The pipes from the heater core extend right through the firewall and connect to the hoses outside of the firewall.

Visiting Guest

02-09-04, 10:23 AM   #3  
darr
Heater core hoses

I'm nuts then i guess.I connected the two other hoses, but theres a smaller one inside the housing.I connected the other to exaclty where i disconnected them.When i filled it up with coolant it ran out a small pipe in front of the firewall.There was no leaks from the other hoses.And they are to big to fit over this other pipe,and i noticed this smaller hose inside the housing,but i did not disconncet it when i replaced the heatercore and other hoses.This is a real stummper.
Its a 1987 chevy calavier 4 door 4cyl is there some where i could get pictures of the hoses and where they are suppose to connect to ? Ive exhusted my resources, library, my own hanes manual, and they have no illustrations for this at all.
Thank you for your time
Darr

02-09-04, 02:12 PM   #4  
If you mean the a/c evaporator drain and you have coolant coming out there you damaged the heater core during installation.It should be leaking on your floor actually.Are you 100% sure you got the heater hoses on tight?

02-09-04, 03:50 PM   #5  
I will repeat. THERE ARE NO OTHER HOSES INSIDE THE CASE. You may have broken off one of the plastic pipes from the heater core though. Take it apart again. The 2 pipes pass through the firewall and connect to the hoses. That's it.

Visiting Guest

02-10-04, 01:04 PM   #6  
darr
Heater core hoses

Okay, the two hoses that run thru firewall and connect to the heater core pipes on the right hand side are fine no leaks, nothing is broken off.Im not crazy i've replaced a heatercore before in a 67 mustang, and several other vechicles.I noticed that after attaching the twohoses thru the firewall to the right hand side of the heater core,that laying inside the housing was another rubber tube.If your under the car theres another hole in the firewall on the left side,seperate from the other two on the right hand side.I've never seen this before, the car does have a/c and the cars before ive worked have not had a/c.Thats why im confused,sorry that im such a pain in the side and it seems crazy.
Darr

Visiting Guest

02-10-04, 01:14 PM   #7  
darr
Heatercore msytery

Plus if your under the car,the hole on the leftside of firewall is the same size as the rubber tube,inside the housing.And theres a pipe about maybe 10 inches from the firewall on the left hand side where al the fluid drains out.Thats where i think this hose goes to but theres no way it attaches to the heatercore.CONFUSED IM AM.
Darr

02-10-04, 02:55 PM   #8  
The heater core has 2 plastic pipes that are part of the heater core (on OE cores that is). They extend through the firewall. No hoses come inside of the firewall. The drain for the A/C is a small plastic extension that is part of the lower tray and protrudes through the firewall. The only thing that attaches to it is a rubber 90' downspout that just slips over the drain. If you have a pipe laying inside the case it has to be one of the pipes broken off from the old heater core. These pipes poke through the firewall basically in the low center of the firewall directly in front of the console if it has one. There are no water hoses inside of the vehicle.

Visiting Guest

02-10-04, 04:50 PM   #9  
darr
Alright

The mystery has beeen solved.Thank you, very much.
darr

Visiting Guest

02-10-04, 05:00 PM   #10  
darr
Okay that explains on thing

But then why does all antifreeze come out of that small pipe in back of the engine left side.??? Ive got the two hoses on the right conntected, they both fit over and thru the firewall onto the heatercore.They do not go onto that pipe on the left.But at least now i know the rubber hose is a drain.
Darr

02-10-04, 05:10 PM   #11  
If there is coolant coming out of that drain the heater core is leaking.

Search this Thread