86 cutlass supreme

Old 02-08-04, 11:52 AM
jasonalf
Visiting Guest
86 cutlass supreme

trying to set idle need help adjusting what to do and were at on engine idle to high

Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-04, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by marines
Adjust the idle screw and air screw, located on your carburator. If the idle is too high turn the screw counter clockwise, too low turn clockwise. Adjust both screws one at a time until the engine is idled right. It is best to look at a repair manuel for the make of car you have. There is a difference in them. If you don't have one you can go to a library and look it up there. Hope this helps
I guess we're assuming he has a carburater, huh?
If your car has fuel injection, don't even try. It's computer controlled and all you can do is mess it up bad. Even if it did have a carb, those are some pretty wrong instructions.

Old 02-10-04, 12:36 PM
i agree with desi...

...altho i don't think a cutlass supreme came fuel injected in 86...a ciera yes...a supreme...don't think so. if it's a v-6 it idle speed control and if it's a v-8 it has idle load control(vacuum operated)...either way...you don't just turn the idle speed screws on those temperamental things...the procedure for idle adjustment is long and detailed for either. you definately need a service manual to do it correctly.

be sure you have NO air leaks (bad PCV hose on the 3.8 and the 5.0) come to mind...if you must...get a service manual and follow the instructions to the letter...messing these adjustments up can cause the car to surge or lurch forward

Old 02-10-04, 04:09 PM
frank997
Visiting Guest
Originally posted by Desi501

I guess we're assuming he has a carburater, huh?
If your car has fuel injection, don't even try. It's computer controlled and all you can do is mess it up bad. Even if it did have a carb, those are some pretty wrong instructions.
hey You do have a problem, but not so hard to fix.There is no carburetor on any GM products that are passenger cars in your model year car. If your car has the original engine in it, it has a idle speed control screwed into the throttle body which looks like a carburetor. If any time that idle speed control is unplugged, it has to be reset. Let me know if you showed the check engine light comming on or if the car is a different year. Also having the vehicle identafication number is good to have for all purposes of repairing problems. The tenth digit is the year, the eight is the motor, but need it all to see other production ques. Frank

Old 02-10-04, 04:35 PM
A 1986 Cutlass Supreme is a rear wheel drive carburated vehicle.I rebuilt the engine in a Cutlass supreme model year 1986.I also happen to know Gm made carburated cars in 1987 and 1988 because I own 2 Caprice Classics.But the question was how to adjust the idle speed.Were you attempting to correct fast idle or slow idle?What is the nature of the problem?Stalling,misfire,rough idle or hesitation?

Old 02-10-04, 05:24 PM
It may have a carb but it also has a computer and I would expect the computer has control of the idle by one of the means mentioned by carguyinva. Either way, the mixture screw is not the answer.

Old 02-11-04, 04:29 AM
a sllowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww computer at that...

...desi is right again...to be specific...ISC was computer controlled...ILC was just a vacuum deal...but as was typical back then there were delays, traps, vents and all kinds of crap on those things...I hated em!!!

Old 02-11-04, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by frank997
hey You do have a problem, but not so hard to fix.There is no carburetor on any GM products that are passenger cars in your model year car. If your car has the original engine in it, it has a idle speed control screwed into the throttle body which looks like a carburetor. If any time that idle speed control is unplugged, it has to be reset. Let me know if you showed the check engine light comming on or if the car is a different year. Also having the vehicle identafication number is good to have for all purposes of repairing problems. The tenth digit is the year, the eight is the motor, but need it all to see other production ques. Frank
Many Gms are carbed that year and the ILC and ISC both had adjustments to do.But until Jason answers my post we can't possibly answer his can we?We need engine size to help him and his symptoms that lead him to beleive the idle speed needs adjusted.

Old 02-12-04, 06:13 AM
following the service...

...procedure for that vehicle and for that symptom is the answer to idle problems...provided the basics are checked and corrected first. personally I don't want to depend on someone else's description of what they "think" the problem is and just tell them some shortcut to turn this screw or that one...the best advice is to do it all. just my two cents worth...

from someone who has built ALOT of GM feedback carbs...