front end vibs

Old 02-09-04, 02:39 PM
front end vibs

My 86 Corolla FWD is experiencing some vibration at freeway speeds. Rebalanced all 4 tires but did not go away. When I turn the wheel slightly to the left, as in a sweeping turn, it gets worst. It feels and sounds like going over rough pavement. Turning the wheel to the right does not do this. Any ideals?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-04, 03:41 PM
Sounds like a bad tire or bent wheel on the right front. Have it taken off and mounted on a balancer to observe how straight it turns.

Old 02-09-04, 04:11 PM
Sounds like a bad right front wheel bearing. Properly support the vehicle and check the wheel for play.

Old 02-09-04, 04:28 PM
fordman30
Visiting Guest
them guys has great suggestions but i wouls also try rotating the tires LF TO RR---------RF TO LR ,THE 2 REARS GOES STRAIGHT UP TO THE FRONT...dont cross the front maybe this is something you can do at home with no out pocket money....if this dont work then check the wheels good luck

Old 02-10-04, 04:24 PM
Tires were rebalanced and rotated but did not help.

Jacked the front end up and checked the wheels for play. Right front wheel has some play when pushed at 9 o'clock & 3 o'clock, but none at 6 & 12.. No play was found with the left wheel in any direction.

Bad rack and pinion?

Old 02-10-04, 04:35 PM
Manic Mechanic
Visiting Guest
Control arm bushings worn?

Old 02-10-04, 05:02 PM
Does it feel like going over a drawbridge with a metal grate roadway?

Or like driving on the "wake-up" strips on the hi-way edge?

Old 02-10-04, 06:07 PM
It feels like driving on the frwy where the concrete road bed meets with the asphaut shoulder and the tire is right on top of the crack. The vibration interval is much closer together than going over the wake-up strips, so I guess it would be closer to like going over the steel grates.

Old 02-10-04, 06:12 PM
Still sounds like a wheel bearing, loose rack end or tie rod is not going to make the noise you have. Clue is by loading it it gets louder.

Old 02-10-04, 06:20 PM
sounds like wheel bearing. I'd try jacking front end up, block rear wheels, put in neutral, then spin each front wheel. Listen carefuly while spinning if it's a bearing you'll hear it growling. That's been my experience.

Good Luck!

Old 02-10-04, 08:38 PM
Will check it out again tomorrow with the spin test. If it is a bad wheel bearing, wouldn't you get the same amount of play, regardless which way you wiggle the tire, not just left and right?

Old 02-10-04, 11:02 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
i've seen very worn tie-rod ends make a clunking/vibrating type noise and have a steering wheel vibration too. these are VERY worn ones.
i never tried the slow left/right turning to load/unload it, so i can't say how it reacted to that. if you turn the steering wheel left/right quickly while going slow, it would clunk each time.

get a flashlight, look under the car while someone rocks the wheel at the 3&9 positions and you should be able to see what's worn.

you might have two problems, as a wheel bearing can be very noisy even with NO play in it.

let us know

Old 02-11-04, 02:55 AM
I have never heard one bad by spining the wheel by hand. Have heard them by running with wheels off the ground at 20-50 mph.

Most of the time there will be no play in a bad front bearing on that type car.

Old 02-12-04, 04:17 PM
Rechecked the play of the right front wheel. Wheel spins ok. There is play when rocking at 9&3 with the arm that connects to the rack and pinion. If I remove the boot that covers the arm, will I be able to adjust or replace anything? Or do I need to replace the whole thing? There is no play with the arm to the left wheel.

Would it be safe to do the 25-50mph test by blocking the rear wheels and jacking up the right front wheel at the lower A-arm? I take it this is to detect a noisy bearing?

Old 02-12-04, 04:26 PM
As long as it's done in safe manner. Jack it up, us a jack stand, have some one else run the car up to speed, stand clear of the front. Make sure ther is nothing in front you can run into. Stay clear of the spinning tire. And

USE COMMON SENSE AND GOOD JUDGEMENT

and of course PERFORM AT YOUR OWN RISK

Old 02-12-04, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by davelew
Rechecked the play of the right front wheel. Wheel spins ok. There is play when rocking at 9&3 with the arm that connects to the rack and pinion.
What your describing is a worn out inner tie rod. When this condition is combined with a slightly out of balance tire, it can produce some horrendous shaking and banging in that wheel. This could be your whole problem. Nothing is adjustable, you just have to replace the inner tie rod end and do an alignment after. An "out of balance" tire could even have been the cause of the worn out part. You definately need to replace that part regardless of your other symptom and you may be pleasantly surprised with the result.

Old 02-18-04, 06:09 PM
I replaced the inner tie rod this weekend and took it in for an alignment. The alignment guy said everything else looked ok. No more vibrations. Thanks to everyone who replied!