Clutch fan

Old 02-09-04, 04:13 PM
zokvus6
Visiting Guest
Question Clutch fan

My Dodge Van was making a loud roaring sound from the engine. I was told it was the clutch fan that needed to be replaced. The mechanic charged me $200 for the clutch fan and $89 to install it.

Is that reasonable or did I get ripped off??

Also, the van now still makes the roar until it warms up? Why is this roar still there at all?Is it still broke, or is this now "normal"??

I am wondering about this repair job.....

Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-04, 06:25 PM
The roar is the sound of it pulling air. That's what it's designed to do. It goes away because it has a thermostat in it that disengages it.

Old 02-09-04, 06:33 PM
zokvus6
Visiting Guest
So it is normal then to still have the "roar" until it warms up? I always thought the fan cools the engine AFTER the engine gets hot. The van never "roared" like this before,at all. Seems strange.

Old 02-09-04, 07:02 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought it was the other way around. It spins free when (relatively) cold but when the thermostat (bimetallic spring?) gets hot it engages the clutch and starts spinning the fan. If it's really cold out side the viscosity of the oil inside the clutch is so high it spins the fan until it warms up a little. This is my theory at least...

Old 02-10-04, 10:30 AM
most fan clutches...

...take a few seconds to disengage after start up at ambient temp...and the colder the ambient, the longer it might take. as for when it's at operating temp, it will cycle as necessary.

as for the price...sounds a little on the high side but you make no mention as to the labor rate of the shop you took it to. what i see in my estimating software is that with "max cooling" the clutch is $73 and without "max cooling" it's $166...seems odd to me and I wonder if that's really the other way around. the labor time guide says 1.1 hours...you'll have to sort it out from there. did they install an aftermarket part or did they buy it from the dealer. if it came from the dealer, they didn't get a huge break on the price and then added their markup and $200 might be a pretty decent price.

Old 02-10-04, 10:56 AM
zokvus6
Visiting Guest
Thank you all for your comments. I've been driving the van and the loud fan noise dies down after the engine warms up; otherwise the van is running ok. I never noticed the fan noise at all before this problem and repair. It's probably just one of those things I'll have to get used to.

Sometimes the best way to ignore these noises is to turn the radio up I guess..

Old 02-15-04, 06:27 PM
What kind of van?

I replaced the fan clutch in my 90 Dodge for about $35.
All I had to remove was the top fan shroud (for access), and 4 nuts. Since the fan isn't attached the pulley, I didn't even have to loosen the belt.

You probably noticed the roaring because it started doing it all the time. The new fan only does it when it first starts up and gets the oil in the fan moving. This takes anywhere from 5-30 seconds, depending on the type of fan. After that, it will only speed up when it gets hot enough.

Sometimes, they 'break' the other way, and won't ever speed up.