Question on my car damage.

Old 02-09-04, 05:34 PM
alanv_1978
Visiting Guest
Question Question on my car damage and auto repairs.

Hi my name is Alan Vallazza and I would like to know what to do with my car. It is a 1998 Nissan Altima. Back in 2001 I had it slightly wrecked while turning at an intersection. The police said I was guilty and the damage was not covered by my insurance. Then I got a bump on it the other day in the snow and a small orange colored light on the front of the car is missing. The light thing isn't major. It just looks awkward. It isn't much but the car is in need of repairs. Having a limited knowledge what should I do I am curious: Would it be the best thing that I take it to the body shop, where under the yellow pages should I look to find a shop, or should I stick with the car being unrepaired? Also what should I know about the cars worth and the cost of damage. I heared since it is already six years old the car could technically be considered totalled even with minor damage because it will cost more to fix than the car is worth. Am I right. Please tell me everything one can about a body shop and costs and repairing damages. If you need more information I can give it to you.
Alan from Kansas.

Last edited by alanv_1978; 02-09-04 at 07:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-04, 04:19 AM
Go to 2 or3 bodyshops and get estimates.Then get the book value for your car and decide if it's worth repairing.Unrepaired resale value will be very low.You also have to consider local laws pertaining to vehicle condition and driving it around.I'm sure the missing light is a violation in most if not all states so it neds fixed no matter what.Let us know what you come up with.Also ask the shops if they give free estimates before getting one done around here they all do.Btw the car can't be totalled by anyone but you because it's not an insurance job so if need be replace the light and keep driving it.

Old 02-10-04, 04:35 AM
I agree with Davo..... You should get some estimates of the cost of repair for whatever damage you have. Once done you can visit www.kbb.com or www.nada.com and look up the value of the car. Im sure it is worth it to fix it. Nissans retain their value pretty well and that isnt a base car so you should be ahead of the game by fixing it. Also it depends on what your intentions are. Do you plan to keep it, sell it, or trade it in.
Hope this is helpful to ya,
Billy