Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

99 Cavalier DRL warning light flashing

Visiting Guest

02-10-04, 11:41 AM   #1  
Manic Mechanic
99 Cavalier DRL warning light flashing

Hi Guys:

A friend of mine has a 99 Cavalier with daytime running lamps. It's a 5 speed standard.

When the car is started, and the emergency brake is released, the daytime running light warning lamp in the dash flashes and the headlamps do not come on.

I have also noticed that the driver's side high beam does not work. I have checked the high beam socket for power and it's dead.

I have cheked the DRL fuse - it's also fine. I'm suspecting the DRL relay. Any comments or answers?

Thanks

Sponsored Links

VA

02-10-04, 12:29 PM   #2  
DRL's

most of the DRL diagnostics takes place at the relay and the first step in "headlamps work, no drl's" is to replace with a known good relay...(like everyone just happens to have a good one laying around...i hate that)...there is also a diagnostic with regards to the left high beam not working. if you are good with a schematic then you can probably firure this one out...but then the diagnostic procedure may also be necessary. i'd start with the schematic and see where it leads you. post your results and we can go from there...good luck!

Visiting Guest

02-10-04, 04:15 PM   #3  
frank997
Re: 99 Cavalier DRL warning light flashing

Originally posted by Manic Mechanic
Hi Guys:

A friend of mine has a 99 Cavalier with daytime running lamps. It's a 5 speed standard.

When the car is started, and the emergency brake is released, the daytime running light warning lamp in the dash flashes and the headlamps do not come on.

I have also noticed that the driver's side high beam does not work. I have checked the high beam socket for power and it's dead.

I have cheked the DRL fuse - it's also fine. I'm suspecting the DRL relay. Any comments or answers?

Thanks
Had the same problem with a 99 grand am... The car had a burned out fog lamp. Replaced it and the flashing drl indicator quit flashing on the dash board. Good luck Frank

Visiting Guest

02-10-04, 04:29 PM   #4  
Manic Mechanic
Thanks for the replies guys.

Carguyinva, I guess I'll have to get my hands on a schematic if I'm going chase the problem down. Any idea where I can get a copy of this schematic?

As far as the fog lamp goes, the car has no fog lamps. But thanks anyway Frank.

Thanks again

VA

02-11-04, 04:26 AM   #5  
schematic

be sure to check all of the bulbs before you go too far...and check your local library for service information...best of luck

Visiting Guest

02-11-04, 01:27 PM   #6  
Manic Mechanic
Thanks for the help guys. It turned out to be a corroded ground connection on the left side high beam.

It pays to check things out first before spending money unnecessarily.

Search this Thread