Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

over heating '95 mustang

Visiting Guest

02-11-04, 06:52 AM   #1  
d561139
over heating '95 mustang

Thank you for taking my ?

I have a '95 mustang 3.6 Liter engine the problem that I have is that the thermostat goes to the high side of normal then it stays ther for a while and then drops to the low side of normal.
2 years ago the head gaskets blew do to factory defect
it was running fine up to a few days ago.Could it be that the thermostat is faulty ?
Thanks
Charlie

Sponsored Links

02-11-04, 07:03 AM   #2  
It could be any number of things. First os all find out if there is any coolant loss or not. If it's not losing coolant then I would hook up a scanner and monitor the temp to see what temp the fan is cycling on and off if at all. If you don't have a coolant loss, you have to have a restriction or fan problem. If it is getting hot at idle in traffic and cooling when cruising, that's an indicication of a fan problem.

02-11-04, 04:21 PM   #3  
my tbird did this right before I blew a headgasket. You may have a defective thermostat, low coolant, or another blown head gasket.

These cars are crap, and notorious head gasket blowers. Dump the car asap.

I am a SERIOUS hard core mustang fan, but I wouldn't own one with that 3.8L if you paid me.

02-11-04, 05:52 PM   #4  
Originally posted by jthompson
my tbird did this right before I blew a headgasket. You may have a defective thermostat, low coolant, or another blown head gasket.

These cars are crap, and notorious head gasket blowers. Dump the car asap.

I am a SERIOUS hard core mustang fan, but I wouldn't own one with that 3.8L if you paid me.
I don't know what world your in but these engines do not have a head gasket problem. You blew a head gasket because you overheated the engine for some other reason first. The blown head gasket was the result of your negligence in not stopping the engine when it first got hot.
The poster doesn't have a head gasket problem and your giving some bad advice. His temp is fluctuating up and down and that doesn't indicate a head gasket.

02-11-04, 07:43 PM   #5  
Holy christ buddy, take a chill pill and stop and think for a moment.

In case you were not aware, thunderbirds came with the 3.8L. In case you are not aware of anything beyond that, then I will educate you on the famous head gasket blowing problem. (let me know and the lessons will begin) This problem was the same across the board, whether it be the mustang, the tbird, taurus, etc. Any poor Ford stuck with a 3.8L in most of the 90's WILL blow a headgasket, and YES my tbird had the 3.8L, so YES it was prone to gasket failure.

I was simply warning the guy based on my personal experience AND many first hand experiences I have observed.

Although I am not an a.s.e. certified mechanic, I probably have more experience with this engine, and more specifically mustangs than you will gather in your whole life.

I didn't want to turn this into a "mine is bigger than yours contest" but you came out swinging.

EDIT: you know NOTHING about me, so I take personal offense to you saying MY negligence blew my head gasket.

The car NEVER overheated, not once. I look at my temp/oil gauges more often that my speedo for crying out loud.

A couple of weeks before it blew, I had some wild temp fluctuations (but never overheat) so I replaced my thermostat. within two weeks, the head gasket went. I have heard this identical story over and over from these engines, and offered my advice to this person because of that.

02-12-04, 03:01 AM   #6  
Originally posted by jthompson
In case you were not aware, thunderbirds came with the 3.8L. In case you are not aware of anything beyond that, then I will educate you on the famous head gasket blowing problem. (let me know and the lessons will begin) This problem was the same across the board, whether it be the mustang, the tbird, taurus, etc. Any poor Ford stuck with a 3.8L in most of the 90's WILL blow a headgasket, and YES my tbird had the 3.8L, so YES it was prone to gasket failure.

I was simply warning the guy based on my personal experience AND many first hand experiences I have observed.

Although I am not an a.s.e. certified mechanic, I probably have more experience with this engine, and more specifically mustangs than you will gather in your whole life.
You really think so huh? I've REPAIRED more head gaskets than you will see in your whole life! 3.8 Fords DON't see more than any others. You've got no business alarming that guy and telling him to "dump his car immediatly" for something that's all in your head. You might THINK you know it all, but you don't. I've got 35yrs doing this and I've seen nothing in 3.8 Fords making them any worse than any other engine out there. Surely not enough to tell somebody to dump their car immediatly. You admitted have "wild temp fluctuations". Did you ever think that maybe that was the "cause' of the problem. Head gaskets don't cause fluctuations but surges of heat DO cause head gasket problems.

02-12-04, 08:50 AM   #7  
Oh boy, you are sure in for an educating here!! I am truly amazed that an ase mechanic is so ignorant on an issue such as this.

Did you ever think that the surging in temperature could be due to a low coolant level caused by another bad head gasket?? When head gaskets go, they tend to burn all the water/coolant out the pipes, blah blah blah, I'm sure you know how that works.

I don't care how many 3.8L engines you have worked on, you obviously are NOT aware of this problem with the engines, the fact that they HAVE been recalled, the fact that they ARE a problem.

Too bad Joe F isn't around anymore, he was quite aware of this too. I'll tell you what, why don't you hit that search button in this forum and search for fords with the 3.8L, and I will go ahead and find you all the proof you need that these creatures are head gasket blowing nightmares.

02-12-04, 09:12 AM   #8  
To the original poster:

I am sorry that I was so harsh, it is just that this 3.8L is a nightmare. My sister has ha a 95 and a 96 mustang 3.8L and both had head gaskets blow, I had a 94 tbird, and the head gasket blew, and some personal friends had the same experience. You already mentioned that there was a factory recall on this, and they fixed it once because of this (mr. ase should have caught that) anyhow, if your car has less than 100,000 miles on it, you may be ok. Regardless, hopefully you do not have another head gasket problem, but the cars history, as well as it's actions lead me to suspect. Have a full compression check as a minimum run on the vehicle. These are fun cars, but the 3.8L engine makes it VERY high maintanance.

To Desi501

I'll stop being such an a-hole, as you obviously were not aware of the problem with these engines, and I was. That does not make me any better than you. Hopefully you take some time to read up on this, and know the problem, as it may help you with future endeavors with this ghastly engine. Here is a little clip. Keep in mind the problem years are from around 92 or so all the way up to 98. 99 and newers are ok, and I think 92 and older is ok

Rather then paste the entire article here, read this first. Then scan through some of the other links I provided. If this is not enough for you, then I don't know what to say, other than I have made my point, and hopefully I have given you enough ammunition to look into this, as an ase tech, you must constantly be aware of what is going on in the automotive world.

http://www.springfieldford.org/news/...0M10_94_95.htm

here are some other various articles. If this is not enough, go to the following message boards and go into the 3.8L section

-3.8mustang.com
-sccoa.com (thunderbird board)
-tccoa.com (another thunderbird board)
-corral.com

additionally, read here:

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/autom...d_response.htm

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/autom...nsmissions.htm

The 3.8L engine Continental has a failure prone head gasket that costs $1,000 to replace and $4,000 if the engine goes. Ford extended the warranty to 6 years or 75,000 miles on 1994's

http://www.autosafety.org/article.php?did=78&scid=51

http://www.autosafety.org/article.php?did=84&scid=51

http://www.thecomplaintstation.com/c...inalrecord=14/

http://www.antibs.com/gbook/view/6777/30

02-12-04, 04:20 PM   #9  
In the last 10 years I've only seen 2 and they failed due to other coolant leaks. I've seen 10 times as many Toyota's, Nissans and 4 cyl Chevys. Maybe it's a cold climate problem because I don't see any of that here but I do see a lot of head gasket problems almost always caused by overheating.

Search this Thread