Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

89 Mercury Headlights

Visiting Guest

02-11-04, 11:18 AM   #1  
ternanat
89 Mercury Headlights

I have an 89 Mercury Grand Marquis and the headlights cut out. Dims will stay on for a short period of time and then go out. When I click on the high beams they go out almost immediately. What's my problem?

Sponsored Links

02-12-04, 11:55 AM   #2  
Do you have this problem with the lights going out while the car is running ? How new or good is your battery ?

VA

02-12-04, 12:10 PM   #3  
headlamps...

...on most domestic vehicles are protected by a circuit breaker. circuit breakers are designed to interrupt the power flow to prevent overload...do you have the correct headlamps installed on the vehicle? with newer high intensity lighting available in the aftermarket, older cars circuits were not designed to handle the increased current demand and can cause intermittant lamp operation as well as wiring damage from overheating. barring that, the best thing is to have the total current in the circuit measured during headlamp operation...if that's ok, it probably needs a new headlamp switch as that's where the circuit breaker is usually located.

Search this Thread