Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

New (used) car

CAL

02-11-04, 08:13 PM   #1  
New (used) car

Just bought myself (actually for my wife) a “project” car, a 95 Toyota Camry with 145k. Engine and mechanicals seems to be sound and I got all bunch of service records from the previous owner. A couple of questions regarding maintenance on this car:

1. Should I change the water pump?
according to the shop that serviced the vehicle, the timing belt was replaced at 125k but NOT the waterpump???
Since my wife is going to be a primary driver I am concerned of missing that first leak of the waterpump and having the thing overheat, with 145k could be fatal .
Is there a coolant level warning light on the 95 Camry. If not is there any quick and dirty way of installing one? I was going to hook this light up to the security system’s siren and see what happens....
Is there any possibility that waterpump shaft is warn out to the point where it just snaps quietly and then overheats the engine without any leaks? By the way the radiator is replaced too.
2. I am going to bring this car to a closest shop and have them flush the break system, looks like it has never been done before. Is there any way power steering can be flushed too? If yes can I do it myself of ‘trust’ the shop with it?
3. Since I am now out of the money for another project, what can I do to extend the life of the engine/transmission? Synthetic oil, any additives?

Thank you,

Last edited by Newbie; 02-14-04 at 08:23 AM.

Sponsored Links

CAL

02-14-04, 08:22 AM   #2  
again

Not that I got the answer to my first set of question….
but now I have more. I noticed that oil pressure light has a little delay
when I start the engine, it stays on a little longer, split second may be.
Should I be concerned and check the oil pressure?
Also, how do you fix the weather seal on the door? I’ve tried spraying some silicone spray on it hoping it would expand, but it did not work.

Thanks,

Search this Thread